Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I are trying to restore a 66 mustang. We want to put a 351 cleveland in it. We are stuck however on what transmission would be best. We want a manual transmission. Then theres the question of if we have to modify the floor pans to accomidate the larger motor and transmission. Can anyone help me with this? It would be most appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
A 4-speed toploader will fit the Cleveland (the back of the motor for the bellhousing is the same as the small block )The 66 tunnel and floorboards will work without any mods.for the transmission clearance. The problem will be the motor itself. I would venture to say that the 351C will NOT fit between the stock65-66 shock towers without modifying them. The 351C will just fit in a 67-68 Mustang and they are about 3" wider than the space between the towers on a 66

·
Registered
316 Posts
My dad and I are trying to restore a 66 mustang. We want to put a 351 cleveland in it. We are stuck however on what transmission would be best. We want a manual transmission. Then theres the question of if we have to modify the floor pans to accomidate the larger motor and transmission. Can anyone help me with this? It would be most appreciated. Thank you.
You are describing my car. I have a 66 fb with a 351C and a toploader 4 speed with an 8 inch diff...I know a nine would be better.. No mods of the floor or anything else. It bolts to the exact spot as a 289 would. NO shock tower mods are needed - NONE. The cleveland does sit a little higher - and in my case with an edelbrock torker and a holley 4777 it is closer to the hood than I would like. If you use a shelby scoop it will give you more room. The exhaust is very tight and swap headers work quite well. My swap headers cross over the pan underneath. I had to custom fab a cross member - but thats no big deal. Some other guys here have used AODs or T5s with the "C" motor. You wont be dissapointed - once you decide to do the motor we can talk in more detail.What else do you want to know? .......:idea:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts