Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I likely need to be more aggressive in my search, but 3 kids and life in general all to often get in the way. I want to buy a GT40P, but the only one within 100 miles has 269K miles for $550. I tried Carpart.com and out of 5 listings that had what I wanted, only one replied a month later, and then never answered again after I said I wanted the engine. Carpart.com proved it'self to be a waste of time for me with outdated listings and poor communications from the vendors.

Now I have found 2- 302's from Lincolns for $500 each, One is a 1989 and the other is a 1985 or '84 model with a carb. I have a 66 coupe and a 65 fastback, both need engines so I'm thinking the '85 302 is worth considering as it would only need a flywheel to be usable in the fastback and I could drop it into the coupe after I get a GT40P configured for the fastback.

I'd like opinions on whether I should buy a hold-me-over engine or hold out for a GT40P? I'm willing to drive a couple of hundred miles as there's nothing in the central VA area. If anyone has a lead, I'm ready to drive!

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you can find a good running 5.0 out of a Mustang, Explorer or Lincoln I'd just go grab it. The P motor isn't going to net you much. Not to mention that it requires different headers.

Basically, just grab a good motor, get it together and running. Then go enjoy your car.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
Well, the '89 is going to be a roller motor, the '85 will have a flat tappet camshaft but MAY or MAY NOT be a roller block. $500 is a lot of money for a junkyard 302 of that vintage. Locally here, a GT-40P with 135k is $600.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After I get a running engine in the car I can begin to address the rest of the car as it's been sitting for 20 plus years. It'll be a year or so before I can hit the highway. It likely needs "everything." At this point I need to be able to drive it in and out of the garage so I can start working on it.

What was the first year for the roller lifters?

·
Registered
127 Posts
1985, if I remeber correctlly. 1986 was the first year for fuel injection on Mustangs.

What do you mean by the car needing "everything"?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woodchuck, Vermont is a little out of my driving range.
I don't want to waste my time with a non-roller engine, so the '85 is out.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything would be brakes, fuel system, interior, wheels, tires and all of the things that go bad from sitting for 20+ years.
The body is rust free so I'm good in that aspect.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Everything would be brakes, fuel system, interior, wheels, tires and all of the things that go bad from sitting for 20+ years.
The body is rust free so I'm good in that aspect.
Ok. You could start doing that now while you hunt down a motor. Might even be easier with the drivetrain and exhaust out of the way.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
After I get a running engine in the car I can begin to address the rest of the car as it's been sitting for 20 plus years. It'll be a year or so before I can hit the highway. It likely needs "everything." At this point I need to be able to drive it in and out of the garage so I can start working on it.

What was the first year for the roller lifters?
'85 was the first year for roller lifters in the 5.0HO with carburetor (manual transmission) only, '86 for all the HO's. IIRC, '87 was the first year for roller lifters in NON-HO 5.0 passenger cars and '92 or '93 in trucks. To be on the safe side, a block with an E7TE casting number (or newer) will be a roller block, although flat tappet cams were put in the truck applications.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Ok. You could start doing that now while you hunt down a motor. Might even be easier with the drivetrain and exhaust out of the way. "
The problem is that it's in a tight garage so I have to roll it out to work on it. I'm not going to push it back and forth so I need to have an engine in it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did drive to WVA to buy a date code correct 289 last Winter. The engine did have a 1965 water pump, but that was the only part of it from 1965. I bought it anyhow but it needs to be completely rebuilt.
The 289 that came in my car proved that some people should not own tools. That 289 had 351 Cleveland pistons and bent intake valves to match, backward rod caps, missing cam plug on the back of the engine block and a used head gasket on one side.
I will continue looking for a GT40P. I guess I needed to talk myself out of buying more junk.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haven't looked at ebay for maybe 10 years. I'm thinking I need to look South into North Carolina.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I wouldn’t focus so much on a GT40P. Just try to find a decent 302. If it’s cheap enough it won’t matter what heads and cam it has.

I picked a 302 long block locally off Craigslist for $100.
The heads were crap but the short block was in great condition. It even had a decent performance camshaft.
Then I found a local wrecker who had a 98 explorer 5.0. He pulled the heads for me sold them to me for $160. I upgraded the valve springs and put them on the engine.

Even if you end up with a 87-95 5.0 HO with e7 heads you can have a good engine.
Yes the e7 heads suck but they cam be improved if you’re willing to do your own port work.

·
Dimples
5,669 Posts
Maybe your part of the world is different than N. Texas, but we are lousy with P-headed explorers. They’re all over the place. A buddy of mine just recently bought a running/driving Explorer for $600 and took out the whole driveline for a 63 Econoline project.

Have you cruised the local junk yard yourself? I swear that there’s a good candidate in every yard around here. I only have a few that I hit regularly and there’s always one if not several.

Also, I believe that all 85-86 5.0’s that came with a T5 were carb’d roller motors. Autos were different for a time, but I’m fuzzy on those details.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could do the port work on an e7 head, but I'd end up rebuilding everything. If I can find the right GT40P I can start without having to open the engine. It's a big bang for the buck, and factoring in reliability and low misery factor, I'm sold.
I did find an Explorer that has been sitting for 5 years with a blown transmission for $1500. Passed.
I've been in a couple of yards that said they had one and didn't. Once I did find a GT40P just in time to see a guy pulling the heads.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts