Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 mustang coupe. 19?? 302.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
New to the forum so I first want to thank y’all for having me!
So, I’m sure this has been beaten over the head but I can’t really find complete information. I bought a 65 mustang a couple years back that I’ve been slowly rebuilding. I really got no background info on the car so I went into it blindly. I was told it had a 289, which I later found out it’s a 302 and I’ve just been having issue after issue trying to bolt on parts. Here’s a picture of the stamping on the motor, can anyone tell me exactly what motor it is? I believe it’s a 1980 but can y’all get anymore info from that stamping?

thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys!
New to the forum so I first want to thank y’all for having me!
So, I’m sure this has been beaten over the head but I can’t really find complete information. I bought a 65 mustang a couple years back that I’ve been slowly rebuilding. I really got no background info on the car so I went into it blindly. I was told it had a 289, which I later found out it’s a 302 and I’ve just been having issue after issue trying to bolt on parts. Here’s a picture of the stamping on the motor, can anyone tell me exactly what motor it is? I believe it’s a 1980 but can y’all get anymore info from that stamping?

thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
35,151 Posts
February 1st of 1984 302. I believe it's a 2-piece rear main, 28.8 oz/in imbalance. If you can find a partial VIN at the rear of the block, up top, we might be able to narrow it down as to what it originally came installed in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See.. everything I found online told me it was a 1980.. I never know what to believe on the internet! I tried finding a partial vin and all I could find was markings that said “EFI”

·
Registered
35,151 Posts
Shouldn’t it be a 50oz imbalance?
I have a 79 302 short block that is 50oz.
To my knowledge, the only Ford engine made in 1979 with a 50 in/oz imbalance was the 255. It is quite possible that his E0AE block has been machined for the 1-piece rear main and has a 2ME crank...

·
Premium Member
11,035 Posts
Hey guys!
I was told it had a 289, which I later found out it’s a 302 and I’ve just been having issue after issue trying to bolt on parts.
Which parts are you having trouble with? A 289 and a 302 share about 95% of their parts.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
is the intake open like the pics in this thread
if so it's a 255

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which parts are you having trouble with? A 289 and a 302 share about 95% of their parts.
Well I bought a radiator for a 289/302 and the inlet was on the passenger side, so I bought a water pump for a 289/302/351 with a passenger side outlet. Now, my water pump pulley is too low and is hitting my crank pulley. So I’m just trying to figure what year the motor is and what car it came from so I can look for exact parts and not worry about something not fitting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is the intake open like the pics in this thread
if so it's a 255
no, there are no holes in the intake.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have a motor of similar vintage...best I can tell it’s 84 non roller block with 50 oz imbalance. It came in a project car. It originally had a serpentine belt set up. I wanted a v-belt set up. I went thru the same issues. Late model 4 bolt harmonic balancer, did not align with 70s 4 bolt pullies, nor early 3 bolt pullys. if you buy an aftermarket balancer, it will be correct imbalance ( or weight can be changed) and accept either 3 or 4 bolt pulley arrangements.
I think it was a pro products balancer from Summit for about 100 bucks. i Don’t have link or part number handy.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
That’s the one! Right now it’s $133 bucks at Summit. Amazon much cheaper, I would call summit and ask them tp price match If Amazon shipping is a long time out. I can usually get summit in less than 24 hrs. Not always so with Amazon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s the one! Right now it’s $133 bucks at Summit. Amazon much cheaper, I would call summit and ask them tp price match If Amazon shipping is a long time out. I can usually get summit in less than 24 hrs. Not always so with Amazon
So I need to get that balancer, measure the depth of my current crank pulley and buy a smaller diameter one with the same depth, and everything should align properly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a picture of the stamping on the water pump that was on it. This water pump fit perfectly I just needed the inlet on the passenger side rather than the driver side. I can’t even find a pump that these stamping a coincide with. You guys know how to find it?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
How about a pic of the face of the water pump and an over view of what the engine looks like .
The water pump and timing cover need to play nice in order for the pulleys to also play nice

·
Registered
35,151 Posts
'65-69 water pumps had the passenger side inlet. '70 & up had the driver's side inlet. Pulleys need to match the balancer/water pump/accessory installation used. Besides the inlet-side differences the water pumps also differ in "snout" length by, IIRC, something like 3/4 inch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about a pic of the face of the water pump and an over view of what the engine looks like .
The water pump and timing cover need to play nice in order for the pulleys to also play nice

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
'65-69 water pumps had the passenger side inlet. '70 & up had the driver's side inlet. Pulleys need to match the balancer/water pump/accessory installation used. Besides the inlet-side differences the water pumps also differ in "snout" length by, IIRC, something like 3/4 inch.
well I guess I have a little more research to do, I don’t know much about of that haha.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
As Woodchuck noted, you must have a matching set of pulleys...4 bolt or 3 bolt and they must match your year of WP and radiator. Since you have all of the front dress for a passenger side exit WP and Radiator...this is for a 3 bolt pulley set up. At this point, since you have the WP and radiator for a 3 bolt style...you will need the universal harmonic balancer we noted above, you will need a matching set of pullies for the early 65-69 3 bolt set up. This will match your water pump, and radiator, but may not allow for a timing pointer. Even aftermarket timing covers from autozone/oreilly's will not have the timing pointer provision on them anymore. I did this on the motor I have similar to yours . I had serpentine set up that I removed. I tried to go 3 bolt early style, but ended up staying with 4 bolt and no timing pointer on the aftermarket timing cover, since it matched radiator.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts