Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but I've learned alot from here and finally decided to join..I bought this 5.0 to put in my 68 but I'm trying to figure out what I have to do to it to hook it up to my c4 and put the accesories (water pump, alternator, distributor etc) from the old 289 on it..the guy I bought it from didnt know much about it as he was going to put it in his comet but went another route..So far I know I need to change the oil pan, not sure if its a roller or not so I might have to get a different distributor? ..I attached a picture of the block castings..I believe its an E5 but not sure if its a roller...thanks in advance

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
It's a pretty straight forward swap. Here's my GT40P swap. Unfortunately due to a "forum" upgrade, some of the pictures were lost and we're limited with our editing. Anyway even without some of the pictures, you'll understand

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man!..so basically I need a 50 oz flexplate, rear sump oil pan, and a newer distributor ...If I go to autozone and buy a distributor for a 1985 5.0 it will work wether mine has a roller cam or flat tappet? (Still not sure which one it is)

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
That's it. Get a 50 oz swap C4 flex plate. Probably the quickest and easiest way of finding out if you have a roller cam is to pull a pushrod out and measure it. Honestly I do not know the length but they are shorter then the flat tappet pushrod. You'll have to find out how long the either pushrod is. Sorry I can't be of more help on that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If roller cam, 85 Mustang 5.0 5 spd, not automatic as the automatic 5.0 used a flat tappet motor
I Read a tip on the 5.0 heyday (when mechanics were replacing HO cams & trying to get them to run on 302W firing order) that Carbed 5.0's ran Roller Cams & Injected 5.0's Flat Tappets OR Visa-versa...

Someone else will know for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I guess i'll measure the push rods because I don't know if it was originally carb or efi and I don't know if it came from a 5 speed or auto either..Or is there a way to tell from the block castings?

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
I Read a tip on the 5.0 heyday (when mechanics were replacing HO cams & trying to get them to run on 302W firing order) that Carbed 5.0's ran Roller Cams & Injected 5.0's Flat Tappets OR Visa-versa...

Someone else will know for sure.
Only for the 85 Mustang. The 5 speed had a 4V carburator and roller cam. The automatic version for the Mustang had a flat tappet cam and a throttle body EFI. The 5 speed Mustang 5.0 was the only model that had a roller cam in 85. In 86 both 5 speed and automatic Mustang had a roller cam. 87 or 88 was where the 5.0 received a roller cam for cars.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
Thanks guys, I guess i'll measure the push rods because I don't know if it was originally carb or efi and I don't know if it came from a 5 speed or auto either..Or is there a way to tell from the block castings?
Nope. Both used the same block. Your E5AE block is a "roller cam" block with the provisions for roller lifter dogbones and spider.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts