Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new motor mounts came in last week, and I noticed they're of different thickness. One of the is roughly 1/3" thinner than the other. They are the early '65 type that mount on the 45 degree bracket. I can either send these back and wait another few weeks for my local place to get a new set in (these were the last) or I can try these. I asked a few local guys and they didn't seem to think that the small difference in thickness would be an issue. I'd attatch a pic, but the only one I have is gigantic and not posted on the web anywhere... Opinions? Thanks in advance as always.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I don't think it will matter too much, your going to get flex on one side and compaction (is that a word) on the other because of torque. Which side is thinner? Where did you get them? I just broke one on the way to Dearborn, MI last week. There may be many manufacturers. I got my replacement at NPD....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
They should be exactly the same size and swap from side to side without any difference. There are short and tall mounts. Sounds like you got one of each. Send them back and order a new set from Mustangs Plus or Mustangs Unlimited or someone like that.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Early 65 motor mounts are always listed a having both a RH and LH side, I believe later mounts were bi-directional. I've never seen any listing for short and tall mounts on the early 65 mounts.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I just assumed the '65 was like the '66, but it seems your right. Before 11/65 the mounts are RH and LH.

There is a short mount, I don't recall its intended application. I considered this mount at one time but the VMF folks informed me it was a weaker mount and not a good choice.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I bet I have one of each. I sent them back and ordered two new ones. Thanks :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts