Vintage Mustang Forums banner

motor mount

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  jkg2101 
#1 ·
i have been having a rattling sound coming from front of car on hard cornering on track, especially on left hand turns. i thought it was something rubbing, and i did find some evidence of the giant sway bar hitting frame. i clearanced that in the frame, but the sound contnues unchnged, and there is no visible evidence of anything rubbing in the front suspension anywhere. i do however see that a couple of header tubes are hitting the inside of the upper a arm mounting bolts pretty hard. i wonder if this is the noise i am hearing.
i am running stock rubber motor mounts (new ones). i wonder if i should change to poly? i dont think i want to run solid ones, and i am not even sure those are available. it is a 65 mustang with small block ford engine

anyone think the noise could be headers hitting these bolts? anyone have any motor mount suggestions?
justin

#2 · (Edited)
Since this car is tracked, I assume it has an export brace and probably a monte carlo bar. The JBA headers I have actually specify in the instructions that an export brace and I think monte carlo bar is recommended, if shock tower spacing is less than 33-3/4”.

How much clearance do you have between the header tubes and the control arm bolts? Can you post a picture?

If you want to try some nice poly motor mounts I have the RMP adjustable ones on my car and they work great.

I don't think I would consider solid motor mounts unless it is a full time track or race car.

#9 ·
Since your car is a 65: does it have the older 64.5 style motor mounts installed? (Early regular 65 also had them).
If this is the case and the oil pan has been replaced, there are chances, that the clearance of pan to crossmember under the oil pan is quite tight and hits while engine is moving due to accelerating and/or cornering/braking.
The 64.5 style mounts let the engine sit a bit lower. Many aftermarket oil pans are about a half quart bigger in volume than stock thereby producing clearance problems with older style engine mounts!
At least it was what I had found on one car while not finding other issues.

#13 ·
Well I bought the poly mounts and spent hours wrenching my back trying to get them in. They are much bigger than the standard mounts. After getting them in place and trying to put all the bolts in, I needed a new back, but I also found out that they don’t fit. They’re Bigger than the stock mounts in multiple dimensions and they hit the Block And don’t have enough room to fit. Typical aftermarket part. Very very frustrating. Don’t buy these. I’m going to cross bolt the stock mounts. Very very frustrating. Don’t buy these.

#17 ·
An engine plate will rattle your teeth out and is not needed unless your nearing 1000 hp! Pinning the stock mounts is the cheapest and easiest solution. I tried a ploy trans mount once and only for one event, horrible and also unnecessary. My 0.02₵

#16 ·
Summit jegs etc sell them. They are common in racing, primarily in big hp applications. But even in a less wild race car they add durability and strengthen your front end. One less thing to worry about failing. They also open up room for headers and accessing the engine if you choose to do away with traditional mounts. I recommend this for a race car, Not sure i would go this extreme for a street driven deal unless you pushing serious power !

#18 ·
I ran my engine in my driveway with the pinned stock motor mounts installed. When I rev the engine there still a slight bit of rocking side to side which makes sense. I guess we’ll see if this cross bolting limits how far the engine can go under hard cornering next time I make it to the track. Which, given how my luck and experience usually goes, should be perhaps sometime in the next year.

#21 ·
as follow-up, i pinned the stock motor mounts. when on track, i still get a loud "Rattling" noise from the front under heavy turns both directions. there is evidence of the headers hitting the upper a arm bolts on both sides still as well. pinning themounts may have helped reduce the chance of mount failure, but i can see the engine is still moving more than i would like

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.