Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, now what? I bought a fan shroud not long ago to aid cooling in the summer. When I tried to install it, the fan sat too low. After discussion on the forum, I figured I had the wrong motor mount insulators. It was suggested that I get the ones for late 66 in order to raise the engine a bit. I talked to the guy at NPD, who said they don't carry 6038-8 anymore, because it was the same as 6038-7, even though in the catalog there was a $5.00 price difference. I ordered the 6038-7's, and when they came today, they're the same as the ones already on the car. (Yes, I discovered this after crawling under the car to take the bolts out. Doh!) So what should I do? Has anyone redrilled the holes for the radiator brackets? Would this be a bad idea?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TIA,

James

1965 convertible "White Pony", my own lesson in mechanical humility

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
James - Are those new insulators the single stud (early style) or the 'ears' (late style) type?

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I understand the question, the "ears" type (the ones recommended for 66-68 289's, as well as 302's.

James

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Hmmmmm...Those should definitely raise the engine about 1/2". I'm trying to imagine the radiator mounts. Could the holes be elongated to allow the radiator location to be adjusted? Is it possible that the shroud is mounted incorrectly? Although they look simple, I know those little Z-shaped brackets have driven some people nuts.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm beginning to wonder about that. I'll wrestle with them again tomorrow.

James

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, the more I look at this shroud, the more I think I could drill holes through it to compensate. Either that, or I have to get my engine to levitate.

James

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have an aftermarket radiator? The one I bought has its mounting holes in the wrong position, which makes the radiator mount too high.
Maybe this has been mentioned earlier?
//Claes

Claes - used to be "FAST66"
66 2+2
64 Fairlane 500 project
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=366211&a=2708878&p=17945776.jpg

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have found that the shrouds and brackets need to be "adjusted" in order to get the fan centered inside. A combination of bending both the shroud and brackets and adjusting the brackets within their bolt holes I was able to find a happy medium that allows my clutch fan to operate without scraping the shroud.

Scott
National Parts Depot
1965 Conv:Street driven concours
1966 Coupe: Daily driver and toy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
boy...I'd definatly modify the radiator mount or the shroud mount before I raised the engine any. In fact, I do everything I can to get my engine lower and further back...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Just a posibility here, but on my 69 when we put the tranny and engine back in we installed the engine mounts backwards, they do go either way..The allowed the engine to be to far forward..We thought at the time that we had recieved the wrong tranny mount and ordered another one which we were told was the right one this time, however when it got here it was the same as the last one..Someone one the VMF mentioned that the engine mounts fit both ways, so we tried reversing them and that was our problem. With them in backwards it hit the fan shroud.
Don

D .G.Cudmore

1 - 10 of 10 Posts