Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
building a 331 stroker w/ afr heads and bigger cam. will stock motor mounts work or do i need the heavy duty motor mounts? also when the manufacturer says one mount is tall and the other is short does that designate passenger and drivers side or does it mean something else?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
68austang said:
also when the manufacturer says one mount is tall and the other is short does that designate passenger and drivers side or does it mean something else?
Might be the difference between 67 and 68 mounts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
at mustangs unlimited and yearone i believe, they have a left and right designated along with the words short or tall following, maybe thats a denotation for the side? anyone know anywhere else to get 1968 289/302 mounts?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Motor mounts are symmetric. Tall mounts are for '68 on 'verts with small blocks, shorts are for '68 on coupes and sportsroofs. My understanding is that the talls also go with '67 smallblocks, but hopefully Hawkrod can pipe up on this one, he has it down pat. Believe it or not, the frame side mounts, and the mounting holes, were different between 'verts and the other body styles, which is where the different mounts become necessary.

Carl

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I've tried every motor mount for the small block in my 67 that I could find and I never found a set that was the same as the originals. I finally ended up drilling another set of holes in the frame mounts so I could use the 68-70 mounts.

As for safety, drill a hole through the mount. Put a bolt with a self locking nut on the end and leave about 1/8" of slack. Even if the mount breaks the bolt will catch it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts