Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '67 coupe has a 289 which has been bored over .030 and a Holley 4160 carb. I burn a heck of a lot of oil, but am not in a position to rebuild the engine (time and money) for some time. I currently use Pennzoil 10W-30. Would a heavier oil slow down my oil consumption, which is almost a quart for every tank of gas? Any suggestions regarding oil weights and/or brand names will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Stuart

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have been told that if one is burning oil then a temporary solution is to run thicker oil. Thus I would recommend something like straight 50 weight for the summer. With that kind of oil lose; make sure you do not have a leak. Good luck.

·
Registered
532 Posts
With that amount of consumption your car should be smoking pretty bad, if its not look for other problems. I'm not so sure (yet) on the fords but on the Mopar motors if the intake gasket was leaking it sucked oil thru the lifter valley and one would see a lot of consumption.
Tony

G

·
0 Posts
Try 10/40, see if that helps, if not then try 20/50. If still no joy brows around in the oil additive
section of a parts store. STP, Wynes, bunch of stuff out there to make the oil so bloody thick
it has a hard time getting past the rings and seals. Any good brand of oil but no synthetics.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I had pretty good luck in my farm truck which has a 360 CI with a product called "Restore" comes in 4, 6 & 8 cylinder sizes. Cut the cumsumption by half.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts