Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a new motor for my car but I dont know if I should buy a block and send it to a shop that rebuilds motors or should I just buy a new one. Am not really into racing just need something to get around in and drive to work during the summer which I can`t wait for. My price range is a 1-2k

·
Registered
586 Posts
Getting one rebuilt will probably exceed that budget. Look on eBay for motors in that price range. Be sure to check seller feedback.

·
Registered
388 Posts
for a max of $2k you need to better define what you need.

What do you have now? Are you not wanting to pull your motor and send it out?

the cheapest way would be to find a 96 early 97 explorer pull out w/ the GT40(not P) heads and have it gone through. It should clean up standard bore. You can sell the intake for about $150 along w/ a few other misc. items. its 50 oz balance so you need to keep that in mind when you buy a flex plate and balancer and roller cam so you need to change the gear on your distributor. Put an TFS stage 1 cam in it w/ good springs and enjoy, probably 230-250 @ the tires w/ an RPM or xcellerator intake.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well right now it has a 302 and the heads have some much sluge. Am guessing its been rebuild once because of the cam in it but not to sure.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Are the heads the only problem with your current engine? If so it would be a lot cheaper to buy another set of replacement heads already rebuilt on Ebay or Craigslist. A 302 isn't difficult to rebuilt. Buy a Haynes manual. It'll walk you through the steps. I rebuilt my 289 for $700 which included boring the cylinders, new Speed Pro pistons, a slightly larger cam and performance parts. I didn't do the machine work and had the pistons installed on the connecting rods, but I did the rest.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to get some new head but I dont know what condition the bottom end is.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Go down to your local auto parts store and see how much a rebuilt long block costs. It will have a guarantee and get you from point A to point B. Make sure the heads have the ports in the right location for the stock manifolds will work.

No way you are going to do it for $1K. $2K if you are lucky but $2500 is more likely.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
Go down to your local auto parts store and see how much a rebuilt long block costs. It will have a guarantee and get you from point A to point B. Make sure the heads have the ports in the right location for the stock manifolds will work.

No way you are going to do it for $1K. $2K if you are lucky but $2500 is more likely.
I agree. You need the stability of a local shop with guarantee if you buy a long block, or rebuild what you have. Even if Acme Engines on ebaY has an iron clad guarantee, getting warranty service could easily be a long-distance nightmare. Besides, a local shop (or even you, if you do this before the rebuild) can do this to the heads without voiding the guarantee:

289/302 Cylinder Head Port Matching

·
Registered
224 Posts
There has to be a place around there that has reman engines. I can get a premium long block here in Dallas Texas for 965.00 with exchange. Here is what they include.

City Motor Supply Premium Long Blocks include a City Motor Supply remanufactured Short Block with City Motor Supply remanufactured Cylinder Heads, New Oil Pump or Oil Pump Kit, Lifters and Gaskets. New Rocker Arms and New Push Rods are installed and pre-set. Each Premium Long Block is pre-lubed and spin tested for proper oil pressure and compression.
Premium Long Blocks include a 12-month/12,000 mile limited product warranty. See conditions of sale on the back of each invoice

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well thanks for the input. I got til the end of spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts