Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up on motors wanted to get a little more info. I want to go either with a 351W or 5.0roller motor- t5z tranny and a 9" with 3.50 gears. In a nutshell I want to come up with something that wont overload the t5z but still have a fair amount of punch.

So I'm looking at a 5.0 with a set of Y303 heads. Or 351W with some aftermarket heads. Any thoughts would be great.

Oh and this will be going into a 69 sportroof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why not stroke the 5.0 to 347. Or better yet, convert to Windsor and stroke to 393 or 408 (if the tranny will handle that much torque that is.)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
'69 sportroof.

I would like to explore different 351 ideas but I'm worried about overloading the t5z and cutting my trans tunnel is out of the question for a TKO.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
With the T5Z I'd do a good 302 or stroke it to any variant below 347 cubes and an 8" rear. 5.0L with the X, Y or Z heads is a good choice...and an E or F roller cam. Ford variation of the Edelbrock performer intake is port matched to the X heads and Ford racing also sells port matched gaskets to fit between the X or Y heads and the Ford Performer intake. And actually....FRPP sells a complete 347stroker with something like 425hp and has (most) all the good parts if you can find a deal on it locally it may be worth the money..by the specs it sounds like a barely streetable engine IMHO.. if you do this consider the tremec 3*50 trannies and 9" rear (which you already have).

But ford also sells 347 bottom ends for 5.0L mustang swaps and the cams and heads seperately.

With a Tremec 3X50 I would consider a larger 351 and any stroked variants below 427 cubes and a 9" rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts