Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get the new 331 dialed in, and having a lot of trouble today. It has been extremely hot the last few days 105+, and the motor starts acting up when the temerature gets hotter. At about a little over half on the temp guage ('66 coupe) the car will start to sputter a little bit upon acceleration and will sometimes choke itself until it kills the car at idle. It seems kinda like a miss, but I am not convinced it is missing. I replace all the plugs today, and that made it run a little better, but not much. It is getting really hot around the carburetor and fuel lines as well. Is it possible for the fuel to evaporate or something when it gets hot enough??? The car will also like to die when it first starts going up an incline, say going into a driveway off the street. The idle is also going quite sporatic now. The idle seemed too low earlier, as the car was killing itself, so I turned it up just slightly (max 1/4 turn) before I headed home from work tonite. When I stopped at the lights on the way home, the idle was high initially, but then slowly got lower and lower. Once I reached home and put the car in park, the idle seemed through the roof (i know it picks up from D to P, but this was more excessive), and it seemed to get slightly higher as I let the car run for a minute. Some of this may be related to timing is I posted below about a mal functioning dist, but I think there is possibly some other issues going on here as well. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
almost sounds like vapor lock from the extreme outside temps..make sure your fuel lines are away from any extra heat like exhaust manifolds..try pouring ice cold water over the fuel pump and lines next time this happens if its Vapor lock..it should clear right up

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Art--

I have the Edelbrock Torker II manifold and Holley 650 DP carburetor.

The heat seems to transfer through the intake, into the carb, and then all the way down through the fuel lines, if it is vapor lock, being caused by this buildup, would the addition of the carb spacer (phenolic) that is planned, help with this heat problem?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Does this happen with a cold motor? Usually vapor lock will cause rough idling, stalling, and a *#%&* to get re-started.

If it is vapor lock, a carb spacer, 160 degree thermostat, and block the heat crossover will usually fix it...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does generally seem to run better when the motor is colder. Up until today when it hit 110 degrees, I had only noticed it want to stutter a few isolated times.

What do you mean by blocking the "heat crossover?"

I have a 185 degree thermostat in there right now I believe, but I will double check, and I can adjust the fan to come on at a lower temperature and get that spacer in there and see what happens. It is only supposed to be 100 tomorrow, so mayber that will help a little bit.....

Thanks Art
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts