Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 with a 200. I spent the past year detailing the engine and engine bay and went to start it today for the first time in a year. It will not start and after a few minutes of trying it backfires. It is getting fuel. I did take out the distributor during the resto, but thought I put it back in the same place. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Verify your timing - again. Symptoms you describe read just like an out-of-time distributor.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Search the VMF archives on how to determine TDC compression for #1....find it, then verify distributor rotor location, rotation in comparison to cap wiring and firing order...

That'll likely do it..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take the number one spark plug out, put your finger in the plug hole and bump the engine over til you feel the pressure pushing your finger out. The watch the timing marks closely, the next time they line up, you'll be in the firing postion for #1. Position the distributor properly now, with the rotor facing away from the center of the engine,(facing the driver side front fender) and the vacuum advance facing the rear of the engine. Make sure the plug wires are in the right order, and that should do it.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
...and after holding your finger in the spark plug hole you can verify TDC also by shining a flashlight into the hole and you can actually see the piston position without much trouble.

Verify plug wires are in the correct places.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
DO the finger method, it could be on the exhaust stroke if you just look at the piston. In addition, take a marker, or a little screwdriver and mark the distributor housing lightly where #1 plug wire goes into the cap. When you drop the distributor in, the rotor MUST be pointing at that mark (well within 10 degrees or so) to start. My guess is that you are 180 out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts