Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory-I've been taking my '68 coupe out for short test drives this last week as it has just finished a three year rebuild and not everything is up to speed yet. Sun after finishing off the PS i took another one. After driving around the block I was two corners from home when the left rear tire decided it didn't like being so close to the drum and up into the wheel well it went. I KNOW I torqued all the wheels down. None of the lugs were stripped nor were any of the studs-but yet somehow they just came off. I got the car home and thinking i must have just forgotten last time I retorqued the wheels and went back out. When I got home they were loose AGAIN!!

I just pulled the drum to find that it was just slightly off center. This caused the drum to ride on the stud shoulders and not mount flush to the hub. This allowed for proper torque spec on the lugs but when the drum wiggled back flush to the hub from driving, turning or braking it would leave the lugs nuts loose enough for them to spin off.

Make sure when mounting the drum on the hub that it is absolutely flush.

Incorrect drum mounting pictures by fahrenheit351 - Photobucket

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
That's pretty scary! Thanks for the reminder. It's the simple things that can screw you. My friend was in my garage last year and noticed that my lug nuts were not on correctly. I had the flat side towards the wheel, not the tapered side. I didn't realize because I had been taking the wheels on and off for brake work. Luckily, the car wasn't being driven and still isn't...but you could easily overlook the simple things when you are excited to get the car drivable again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts