Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I learned the hard way that the Holley Blue fuel pump is a "pusher" style pump and not a "puller" first hand. I mounted one in the engine compartment and I'm having issues with fuel Starvation. It's my own fault; I should have read the instructions better. But my request is this. Can some of you that are running a carbed car with a stock gas tank post some picks how you mounted your fuel pumps. I have a pretty good idea how I'm going to do it but I would like to see some others before I commit.

I like the look of this set up so I'm thinking about a Variation on this. It would sit between the rearend and the tank. SO, post how you did yours.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
I can't find any pictures, but that's how and where I mounted mine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Well, I learned the hard way that the Holley Blue fuel pump is a "pusher" style pump and not a "puller" first hand. I mounted one in the engine compartment and I'm having issues with fuel Starvation. It's my own fault; I should have read the instructions better. But my request is this. Can some of you that are running a carbed car with a stock gas tank post some picks how you mounted your fuel pumps. I have a pretty good idea how I'm going to do it but I would like to see some others before I commit.

I like the look of this set up so I'm thinking about a Variation on this. It would sit between the rearend and the tank. SO, post how you did yours.
Hi,
Here's a couple of shots of my installation. First, I have a fuel cell, the outlet of which exits the trunk in the factory location. the next two pics show the exit (beneath the car) into a filter and on to the pump. This pump is mounted on the other side of the trunk bulkhead. The aluminum you see there is the outside of the fuel cell. From the outlet side of the pump. the fuel line snakes it's way to the front where I relocated it to a fuel regulator mounted on the firewall behind the engine. From here, the line enters the carb. (see pic).
In my case it's Webers. Routing the line this way, reduces any undue heat to the fuel line.
Hope this adds some value.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I made a simple bracket out of an old PC case. Has held up well for about 6 years.
More photos here.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Your bracket idea looks good!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I am going to try to do something like the in-tank pump seen in this post:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mod-custom-forum/608846-efi-guys-anyone-used-tank-pump.html#post3944350

It uses a stock SN95 pump attached to the end of the fuel level sending unit. It doesn't look difficult to do. I will just have to drill two small holes in the sending unit -- one for a return line and one for the wiring for the pump. The wiring hole will get a grommet and plug connector so I can disconnect the pump (for replacement) and not have to cut the wires.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
We built a plate to mount mine on. My pictures aren't very good. If I get out to the shop today, I'll take some better pictures of it. I have the pump relay mounted back there as well. Don't pay attention to the wiring, because I haven't finished it yet. We modified my sending unit to have a 1/2" pickup tube, for my 1/2" line.

For what it's worth, if you ever plan on taking your car to any kind of track, do not mount the regulator on the firewall, because it will not pass tech. It's just not the best idea to mount a potential fire source on the firewall.

We built a steel plate that it mounts too here.

To clean up under the hood, I ran the fuel line down the passenger side, instead of the factory location, so that the regulator can be mounted on the passenger side, and the lines don't have to be ran across the engine, like they would with factory lines.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Yeah Thanks I know about the firewall thing. I was more intent on keeping all the fuel lines off the engine, to me, a greater source of heat. But, it's not a strip car anyway.
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Well, at least I have no exposed rubber fuel lines. I did add an inertia switch to cut the pump, in the event of a collision. Which has proven to be sensitive, since it shut off my fuel supply onetime when running over a waffle board road under construction. LOL
That was fun!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so far

Well, I worked on mounting the fuel pump this weekend. I mounted the Regulator near the Carb on the shock tower brace. I also started to fab up the mount for the Fuel pump and the filter. Which again will be mounted between the tank and the rear. This is what I have so far. (See Pics)
I hope to finish it up tomorrow, Maybe!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Well, I worked on mounting the fuel pump this weekend. I mounted the Regulator near the Carb on the shock tower brace. I also started to fab up the mount for the Fuel pump and the filter. Which again will be mounted between the tank and the rear. This is what I have so far. (See Pics)
I hope to finish it up tomorrow, Maybe!
You bud, are on a roll!
Nice work!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
getting closer

Well I worked on it a little more today. It was a little cold here in Raleigh so I didn't get it all done. I did get it welded up and test fitted. I still need to paint it and run one wire from my relay back to the pump. Here's a pic of the mount so far.
I do need to adjust the Fuel Pump mount, I want it to be slightly lower then the Fram gas filter, being this system is gravity feed. I figued it could hurt having the Pump at the lowest point. I'll post more when I get more. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Hi,
Have you considered an inertia switch to cut off the pump in the event of a collision?
I feel much safer with mine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been thinking about it. But not sure....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here are my facet pump setup with two different pickups....

Markus

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I've been thinking about it. But not sure....
An inertial cutoff switch is a $20 life saver. Without it, fuel will spray (under pressure) from broken lines until your tank is empty (or your car burns to the ground while the firemen try to get you out alive). Just wire it in series with the relay or fuel pump wire. Really a no brainer (both to install, and whether to have one).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
finished up

Well I got everything welded up, painted and mounted. I used bed liner in a spray can to paint the mount. It came out pretty well. This is the first project using a mig welder with sheilding gas, Man what a difference! I still need to mount an inertia switch, yes I'm going to do it. I Figure I'll go to the local U-pull-it yard on Monday and get one out of a late model Ford. Should be pretty easy....
Well, Here's some pic's of the final product.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Well I got everything welded up, painted and mounted. I used bed liner in a spray can to paint the mount. It came out pretty well. This is the first project using a mig welder with sheilding gas, Man what a difference! I still need to mount an inertia switch, yes I'm going to do it. I Figure I'll go to the local U-pull-it yard on Monday and get one out of a late model Ford. Should be pretty easy....
Well, Here's some pic's of the final product.
Hi Randy,

Nice work! In the mean time, I should still have my wiring directions for the switch. I'm such a pack "rat-rod" that way.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts