Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm mocking up the evaporator box [from my Vintage Air kit] up under the dash. There is a large bracket that attaches to the glove box side (vs the firewall side) of the evap box that has two machine screws that go into the cowl. CAA has a similar bracket and it goes into the cowl too.

As I look at where these screws are going to be, it's obvious that you'll be able to clearly see them when looking down through the vent louvers from the outside.

Does anyone have better idea on how to mount this bracket that doesn't require drilling these holes? To make matters more challenging, I do not have a welder nor do I know how to weld :)

Any and all ideas welcome. Thanks!

Hood Automotive lighting Car Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't have a solution, but I can say that the screws are not noticeable when looking at the vent louvers. The screws are high enough up, that you have to look low into the louvers to see them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the response. But it looks to me like those two holes are only half way up the cowl wall, which seems like would be seen pretty easily from the outside. I guess I could use black screws, but I wanted to first see if someone had a better mousetrap. I guess everyone with Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air are just drilling holes into their cowls?! I did a search on here about this subject and nothing really came up.

·
Premium Member
14,681 Posts
I had to look real hard to find those screws in my '65. I guess you could weld the bracket to the cowl but then you'd have to try to get some paint into the cowl.

Hood Azure Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
What about rivets instead of screws? Shorter and less obvious. Paint end that will stick into the cowl, drill hole where bracket goes, pop rivet bracket on. Done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Appreciate the response. But it looks to me like those two holes are only half way up the cowl wall, which seems like would be seen pretty easily from the outside. I guess I could use black screws, but I wanted to first see if someone had a better mousetrap. I guess everyone with Vintage Air and Classic Auto Air are just drilling holes into their cowls?! I did a search on here about this subject and nothing really came up.
I don’t like that idea at all—screws into the sheet metal?!

I’d be more apt to drill holes into the plate and plug weld them to the cowl—maybe some seam stitches too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts