Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys does the brake hose get mounted onto the rear end housing by the axle vent?

If so which way.

Pics would be great, I dropped the ball and didn't take a photo before it got stripped down.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Well, on the single exhaust cars the threaded vent tube goes through the thick distribution block and threads into the axle tube.

On the dual exhaust cars the vent tube goes through a thinner bracket that holds the block.

I hope that helps? If you do a google image search you will see it.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir I just found a picture you are right. The mustang owners manual just shows a v8 doesnt state single or dual.

now just to wait on my axle vent and posi and i will be putting her together.

learning steps...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Since you stated you were waiting for your axle vent, make sure you're getting the right one. The single exhaust cars had a thick brass block as part of the brake hose assembly that the vent went through. As such, the vent is longer from the hex to the threads. Conversely, the dual exhaust cars had a metal bracket. This used a shorter vent. They are not interchangeable.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered up dual exhaust brake hose (came with a thin bracket) and the shorter dual exhaust axle vent. I understand what you are saying I did notice the single exhaust setup has a longer threaded throat to it and looks as if it has a copper washer to go under it.

I should be good.

I just took out the old center section and have it cleaned up ready to go. Just waiting on that posi 380! :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

About an hour before I finished cleaning out the housing, was very messy but it will just need some air blown through it and she will be ready for rebuild.

For anyone planning on powder coating, do it after complete dis assembly, some parts now have been scuffed from sand paper and will need some canned paint because of the old gasket being stubborn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts