Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the pad with the black vinyl covering on one side. Is there any way to attach the pad without using those plastic pins thru holes in the firewall? How are these pads mounted on modern cars?

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
You could use nuts and bolts with fender washers. Tractor Supply has them at much lower cost than the box stores.

I have the pins but think I will push a long pan head machine head screw from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment, then secure to the pad with a fender washer, lock washer and nut. It will take two people.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I used spray adhesive on one, glued it perfectly in place...however I hope I never need to remove it! I’ve also used plastic ‘Christmas tree’ clips from Sherwin Williams. They pushed in and worked fine, even sealed the holes for the most part and didn’t scratch paint.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350-Tribute Restomod. 2019 Shelby GT350.
130 Posts
I'm currently installing the firewall pad in my 65 Fastback. Behind the OEM-type pad that you can see, I also have sound deadening layers of Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) and Closed Cell Foam (CCF).

I used the machine-screws and fender washers as "bmcgc" suggested. The long screws initially made it easier to align and hang the pads on the firewall. After everything is properly fitted, I will replace the long screws with shorter ones.

I am doing the installation solo, but I agree it would be easier with two people.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,187 Posts
Did mine by myself..used correct pins to hold it in place. Learned a lot..plenty of info on firewall out there. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I used 3M spray adhesive - one coat on the pad and one coat on the wall. Let it dry, then make sure you get it in the right spot. Most difficult thing is trying to cut the pad. I laid what was left of my old one over the new one to mark where the holes should be. Then cut the holes... yeesh!

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
My son and I used some plastic push tabs on his that looked a lot like the metal originals. They worked great. I'd rather not glue one in case I ever had to tear it off. Besides, I like that original look, even under the dash and poking thru the firewall underhood.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
You an find these in a Grainger catalog: Insulation pins. About 4" long with a 2" X2" plate on the bottom. You glue those to the firewall. Push your insulation pad over the pins. Secure with the clips that push on also. (those should be in the catalog too.) The clip the excess length of the pin off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts