Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good lord… How do I get myself into these situations?

My car looks just as it does in my sig - bare shell plus rear axle and front dolly. It is sitting level on 10 jack stands and I have started the driver’s side inner rocker replacement. So far, I have removed the front torque box and drilled out about three fourths of the spot welds on the lower pinch weld (starting from the front). That is it, no other metal has been removed. The car has door braces and additional bracing welded from the door braces to the transmission tunnel. Also has export brace installed.

My issue: we might be selling our house and I’m going to need to move the car. I won’t have time to complete the rocker install before the move.

Do you think it is safe to move the car as is?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'll put in my 2cents for what it's worth...
1. Can you tack in a temp brace? Maybe angle iron?
2. Assuming you're going to flatbed the car I'd be careful re: how much tension is used to strap it down and you could always use jack stands to support that side during the move. You might even consider getting the rear wheels off so there's no suspension movement during the move, keep the car rigid to the flatbed.

These are just ideas... :) good luck!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hopefully you are moving it yourself--I needed to move my '69 when it was a shell (take it out for paint) and the first 3 tow companies refused the job. I finally found one who ended up towing it both to and from the paint shop for me. I agree with the first poster--don't strap it down too tightly from the ends. It may be worth it to make time to finish the rocker install.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ good points. Thanks. I'll add that I will be flatbedding and it's not going very far. 2 miles to the new house. Or 2 miles to a storage facility then 2 miles to the new house....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts