Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Granada discs over 20 years ago, time to move on. I’ve been looking at Master Power Brakes. Anyone familiar with their product? There’s also SSBC but I’ve heard they’re floundering. I’ll also need new spindles, looking for recommendations on those too.
Just a driver I don’t need high performance braking.
Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Restomike66

Fall of 2017, I installed Mustang Steve’s power brake booster assembly.
It uses a foxbody booster and 2001 v6 master cylinder.

My 65 still stopped better than factory foxbody brakes on my 92.

It was day/night difference from my factory power 4 drum setup (single master cylinder with Granada disc/rear drums.

You didn’t mention your brake setup.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
9,931 Posts
What's wrong with the Granada brakes? They are a single piston, sliding caliper design just like the '68-'73 Mustang disc brakes. I have them on my '65 with no problems. The geometry is not exactly correct for the '65/'66 which may lead to bump steer issues.

CSRP is located just down the road in Marble Falls. He has spindles for the '65/'66 that accept the Granada calipers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I did look at SOT as well...just not enough change in my pockets at the time.
Definitely well made products.

I also like the availability of factory replacement brake parts and all of the aftermarket support as well.

My 65 is a driver, not track driven.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m frustrated with getting front-to-rear balance correct. The rears lock up first and I don’t think the fronts ever do. Pedal is really sensitive making stopping something I have to really think about else skidding up to it. I went out to Marble Falls and met Dennis. Real nice fellow. I got his adjustable proportioning valve kit but still cannot get things balanced. I’ve got Mustang Steve booster with master cylinder and modified brake pedal.
I’m thinking alone the lines of a complete front brake kit with a combination valve from a single supplier that was engineered for the car.

·
Premium Member
9,931 Posts
I have Granada discs on the front and Explorer discs on the rear. No booster and no proportioning valve. Works great.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I’m frustrated with getting front-to-rear balance correct. The rears lock up first and I don’t think the fronts ever do. Pedal is really sensitive making stopping something I have to really think about else skidding up to it. I went out to Marble Falls and met Dennis. Real nice fellow. I got his adjustable proportioning valve kit but still cannot get things balanced. I’ve got Mustang Steve booster with master cylinder and modified brake pedal.
I’m thinking alone the lines of a complete front brake kit with a combination valve from a single supplier that was engineered for the car.
that would not be a fault of the Granada brakes, unless something is otherwise wrong with them. Chances are if you just install some other system you will likely be back at square one trying to get the "balance correct"

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
For a driver, I prefer to use the Stock 65/66 style Kelsey Hayes brakes. Going with aftermarket brakes leaves open the option that they go out of business and you can't get parts. Call Chockostang, he'll sell you the whole setup. The brakes feel great and are easy to install. If you want more stopping power and don't care about originality, the Mustang Steve option is also good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What brakes on rear?

I used Granada proportioning valve with Granada front and 65 drums out back.
No issues.

Earlier this winter, I switched to 2016 mustang rear discs w/adjustable proportioning valve (removed Granada proportioning valve) at full open to rear with Granada
Fronts always locked before rear.

You may want to look at your rear brakes.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I too am running Granada discs. I added a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve and had no problems dialing in the brakes. Add this baby in the line that goes to the rear brakes and you will be good to go:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
1965-1966 CSRP 1.4" big bearing drop spindles with Mustang Steve 2008 GT brackets and 12.4" rotors. Does really well "for what it is" I am told most Sundays at the autocross course. Your milage may vary.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
People can have the same problems with $1000+ kits just like yours. If your only complaint with the Granada stuff is the actual braking and not the driving or handling with the way you drive, well thats an easy choice to sort that out for me.
BUT, this looks like a great $$ solution for a spindle out kit. Single Piston Manual Disc Brake Kit with New V8 Spindle - Manual or Auto Transmission with Manual Steering (1965-1966) - Opentracker Racing Products You might save a few bucks from the horses mouth near you and I bet there's someone that'll give you a couple hundred for the Grenada stuff.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
People can have the same problems with $1000+ kits just like yours. If your only complaint with the Granada stuff is the actual braking and not the driving or handling with the way you drive, well thats an easy choice to sort that out for me.
BUT, this looks like a great $$ solution for a spindle out kit. Single Piston Manual Disc Brake Kit with New V8 Spindle - Manual or Auto Transmission with Manual Steering (1965-1966) - Opentracker Racing Products You might save a few bucks from the horses mouth near you and I bet there's someone that'll give you a couple hundred for the Grenada stuff.
That is the Granada kit with modified spindles to reduce bumpsteer from CSRP. The text is exactly the same on the ORP and CSRP sites.

·
Super Moderator
8,887 Posts
Reach out to Chock, he’s got the original set up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that would not be a fault of the Granada brakes, unless something is otherwise wrong with them...
OK well, what might be wrong with them? Master cylinder or pads come to mind.
I adjusted the proportioning valve fully clockwise which increases front wheel bias and although better it still fells like only the rears are doing any braking. Like trying to stop using the parking brake. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^ It's hard to say what is wrong. Have you had this problem for 20 years?
Nope. It seems that the issue has come up since the last time I repacked the wheel bearings. But it is driven so rarely I couldn't say for sure when.
I checked out Autozone tool loaner program today. They have no brake pressure gauge for loan. I really don't want to spend $50 on a one-use tool.

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,891 Posts
Mike when I went did the front disc brake swap on my 69 Coupe I used a kit from Opentracker Racing that uses the 65/66 Mustang Kelsey/Hayes style calipers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts