Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
OK well, what might be wrong with them? Master cylinder or pads come to mind.
I adjusted the proportioning valve fully clockwise which increases front wheel bias and although better it still fells like only the rears are doing any braking. Like trying to stop using the parking brake. Any thoughts on that?
as 66coupe289 stated could be lots of things. You mentioned having the rotors off doing wheel bearings. maybe you smudged grease on the pad without knowing ? maybe the pads don't move freely as they should, maybe the master cylinder has an issue, maybe the pads are "glazed over" , The Granada was a bigger/heavier car than the Mustang and they stopped that ok ...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Ok stupid question. Is your proportional valve actually a combination valve? I wonder since it started after you had the calipers/rotors off if the combo valve has slid to rear brakes only and needs to be reset?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Given this did not appear to be a major issue until you worked on the wheel bearings, I would start simple. Look at the pads for contamination. Could air have gotten into the system? Try bleeding the front brakes. Calipers frozen?

·
Registered
133 Posts
It’s possible calipers may not be operating correctly.

For affordable best stopping with Granada brakes, use the Police/Taxi semi-metallic pads.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok stupid question. Is your proportional valve actually a combination valve? I wonder since it started after you had the calipers/rotors off if the combo valve has slid to rear brakes only and needs to be reset?
Good question. Not a combination valve, it’s an adjustable proportional valve.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts