Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use MP products door panel or door skin? I am curious about the fit and finish. Any installed pics would be appreciated.

door panels

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I've heard good things about their gauge panels and pre-built gauge clusters.

Sorry nothing on the other interior items.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Ran across this thread via Google search. Trying to install the above pictured custom door panels on my 67 right now and surfing for hints.

Buyer beware. Should have made my own. These things suck. Fitment is terrible. Ordered in November, got the panels in mid February - inserts were backordered and showed up last week. No instructions. Nothing on their website - Instructions page says "coming soon" dated November 2008. No install hardware.

Vinyl covering peeling at the edges in a couple of places. No extra material wrapped around the back to help reattach.

Aluminum insert has pre-applied adhesive, but will not stay stuck to the panel. Very poor fitment to the recess in the panel. Barely fits in some places and has noticeable gap in others.

Comes with an aluminum angle that bolts where the stock armrest bolts. They have to be trimmed (considerably) for the panel to fit on the door and I'm still not sure of their purpose since they are in no position to support anything.

Armrest "cup" inserts are molded inside out - the textured surface is hidden and the smooth surface marked "L" and "R" is visible.

Panel attaches to door using 8 of the stock clips hooked thru ABS strips lightly glued to the back of the panel. The strips pop off the first time you try to remove the panel and have to be glued back. As poorly as these panels fit you will be pulling them off a lot before you are finished.

Biggest issue is that the pre-cut holes for door handle and window crank are way off. Holes in the ABS panel are fairly close and easy to massage, but the hole in the aluminum insert is off almost a half inch. I guess it is a good thing the adhesive doesn't work well so can pick up the panel (after it comes lose and falls off) and work on it with the Dremel.

Overall this is a poor quality product that will take lots of massaging to make it fit. Not sure about long term reliability, but I can see it popping a few of the mounting straps the first time the armrest is used to close the door. Plan to create a spacer of some sort to fill the two inch gap between the metal support and the arm rest or the panel will be coming off even faster.

On the good points - I sprayed with satin black dye and it looks nice. The insert matches the deluxe dash well. Probably be a perfect panel for a trailer queen.

So, there's my three cents worth half way thru the install. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow thanks for that- I guess I will look elsewhere for door panels.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I ordered kick panels, and they are on route. They show 10-15 day shipping which is a bit odd. It sounds like they are running an "Almost in Time" manufacturing or shipping standard. I'll let you know how well they are made. FYI, any ABS product can easily be re-shaped with heat, not that that should be needed though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts