Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
There's lots of little things people do not think about that can adversely affect mileage:
Tire pressure
Worn U-joints
Brakes dragging
Wheel bearings getting old
Bad alignment
Anything that adds friction to the drivetrain.
Anything that adds slip to the drivetrain
etc.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Should I be using manifold or ported vacuum? I keep hearing different things from forums.
UGH, this will start a big flair up but staying agnostic, either will be better, ported picks up above the throttle plates and was designed for emissions cars in the 70s so the motor temp at idle was raised for lower emissions. I run off manifold but pick up at the Holly carb as opposed to the manifold itself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
UGH, this will start a big flair up but staying agnostic, either will be better, ported picks up above the throttle plates and was designed for emissions cars in the 70s so the motor temp at idle was raised for lower emissions. I run off manifold but pick up at the Holly carb as opposed to the manifold itself.
After I posted the question I thought to myself "maybe I shouldn't have asked" because I know from other forums it can get heated.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
"byteme, oh I do enjoy the ride, but it was just a concern that when I finally take it out on the road trip I'm planning that I would have to stop and fill up a lot more with that mileage."

I suggest you top off the tank and take it for a leisurely cruise for 50 miles or so at speeds you expect on your road trip. Top off the tank and do the math. That should give you a ball park idea of what sort of range you can get on your tank. Track your fuel usage the same way during this road trip and you will fine tune the range. With a 16 gallon tank and 13 mpg, your tank would get you just under 200 miles. Until you have reliable data points try refueling at 150 miles.

FWIW, on the annual Fabulous Fords Forever caravan from NorCal to Knott's in SoCal, some of the cars earned 9 mpg so 2 gas stops were scheduled to get all of us to the hotel about 400 miles away.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts