Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody bought, seen, or installed an MPG brand export brace? The quick release pins look useful if you have to pull the motor or work in the master cylinder/z-bar cramped quarters.

http://www.mpgheads.com/expbrac.htm

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have the MPG export brace and monte carlo bar installed. I find it is very good for working on any part of the engine with the quick release pins. It is just as strong as the one piece export brace.

I can e-mail pictures if you want to see the entire setup installed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve-

I saw the bars installed on your web page. It looks nice and a clean setup too. I didn't see the monte carlo bar listed on MPG's web page though. How did you find out about it and where did you find pricing? Also, is the monte carlo bar a quick release? Otherwise, it looks difficult to add oil.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
When I called to order the export bar from MPG they told me about the monte carlo bar. What is changed from the export brace only setup is the mounting plates for the shock towers they have an extra mounting area for the MC bar. The MC bar comes with bolts not quick release pulls. You can order the quick release if you like, I did not put them on my car. as for the oil filler, I have not had a problem adding oil at all.

If I remember correctly the export brace was about $150 and the MC bar was a additional $80.

I went with this setup because I like the quick release when working on the car and also I like the look.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Glad I seen this post.
Didn't know someone had made a quick release monte carlo bar setup.
We are currently working on one also.
Our would be a stand alone unit though. No export brace section needed.
Though I was the only one who like the bars but hate that they're always in the way when trying to work on the engine.

Any interest in just a quick release monte carlo bar. It will also have a powder coated finsih to make it nice and durable.
Was even thinking of offering them in a couple of colors. Black of course, maybe red and blue?
Any thoughts or should we scrap the project?
Thanks,

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A good idea, but it is price sensitive. If it was a stand-alone unit, you could target all the folks who already have the factory style export brace plus those with nothing. MPG's only works with their export brace. However, stock style monte carlo bars are only $25-$40 depending on chrome/curve options. TCP sells one for $115 and I don't think they sell many. A stand alone quick release in chrome might sell well for $80. Maybe you could mock up a demo unit, take a picture and post it for the group for feedback.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Well chrome would up the price a little too much I think.
A black powder coated one would go for about $60-70.
That's the price range I would like to get it into.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts