Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at taking my 68 back to as original as possible. I'm even thinking of making it a 2V again. What kind of gas millage did the 67/68 302s get? If yours is original and you drive it what kind of MPG do you get on the highway? Is there any old data from the time? What did the J-code get compaired to the 2V motors?

thanks
Austin

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I have a J code with air conditioning and a manual 3 speed trans with 3.00:1 rear gears..It got in the low 20mpg range on a very long highway trip I took crusing around 60mph..The engine had around 160,000 miles on it at that point and was totally stock....I doubt switching to a 2V would increase the mileage and may even be worse..I think the J codes 4 barrel carb probably has smaller primary throttle bores than a 2V carb.

·
Administrator
19,528 Posts
When my 68 coupe was my daily driver (until 1985), I got 16-20 mpg (street versus highway driving). It has a 289 and C-4.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I think this is going to work out really nice. I still haven't decided yet, but the only thing non-stock about my motor will be headers and a RPM intake. I already have both of those things and I'm not sure I want to spend the money right now for the stock cast iron 68 intake and exhaust manifolds. I am going to grind off the edelbrock name and paint it blue so it won't be so obvious. All the rest of the motor will be stock 68. With the stock 3.0 rear gears it should do ok on the highway and with the headers it might actually help MPG a little.

thanks
Austin

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Auston, hopefully gas mileage isn't a priority in driving any vintage car. Just a
comment the 302 was only availible on late '68s and then only as a 4V.
I had a 302 2V '70 Torino for many years. Great engine...good mileage. Guess would
be 20 mpg highway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been driving my cougar everyday on and off for the past seven years. It has been rough since day one. Really, REALLY bad paint job, rusted out 1/4s, ect. It currently has a 85 roller 302 and a green dot C4. Since this cougar is nothing special, I want to make it my own, but I want it to look 95% stock. My cougar was built late and came w/ a 2V 302. I'm going to build it w/ a 4V, headers, and a T5. Everything else wil be stock. I just really love the look of stock engines under the hoods of the people in the forum. Now that my wife stays home w/ our two girls, the cougar (and my 71 F100) are my daily drivers. We don't need another car note. So I want a nice clean original (looking) cougar and that is what I'm building. MPG is important to me since I will be driving it everywhere I go.

thanks
Austin

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Austin, keep in mind your Cougar 302 and your '71 F-150 are completely mechanical.
Mileage is greatly dependant on the exact state of tune and driving habits. IMO
20 mpg highway, 15 mpg city is a realistic goal. With an unsteady foot (no cruise)
and poor tune this could easily be 15/10!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are 100% correct. Even with my wife's 2002 explorer w/ a 4.0 V6, how you drive really determines the outcome. RPMs and speed also have a bunch to do with it. I can get 22mpg out of her big explorer if I keep it right at 68 mph. This is with 130,000 miles on it. I'm a project engineer but my degree is mechanical so I understand how tune can determine outcome. I was thinking of getting a LM1 O2 setup so I can really fine tune the carb.
My 71 F100 is my hot rod. 460/wide ratio C6 w/ a 3.5 rear. That truck is fun, but the best I can do w/ it is 10mpg on the highway!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Hey! How about filling in your profile, even a little!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
:thumbsup: Good job Austin!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The instructions in "help" are wrong. I kept trying to do what it said but it didn't work.

To update your profile you have to go to "my home" then "control panel".

glad to be here,
Austin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts