Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost bought an 1991 RX-7 Convertible, but was outbid in the last 5 seconds. It was a sweet ride too..

But anyways, a kinda VMFer private messaged me, and told me to absolutly NOT get rid of my car, and to stick with it.

It's just, everything about a newer car is so appealing: nice seats, power everything, smooth handling.

Also, I'm sad to say I HATE how loud my car is on 2 seperate FlowMasters. It's to the point where I hate driving it at night, 'cause I can't relax.

So I'm goign to hopefully work on making my car a newer restomod that will stick with me forever.

Right now I get at most 10mpg on my engine and C-6 trans.

I'm running a 750holley that was completly customized by a local dyno shop.

If I buy another 650holley and get that built too, can I switch 'em over? Will it make my engine run too hot?

How many MPG can I gain from C-6 to manual? What about to AOD, since that'd be cheaper?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
ofcouse you can switch them and a t-5's 5th gear is OD if your running a low gear in the rear-if you feel like improving then yah go with a smaller 650 it will need to be rejeted to keep it from going lean or rich AOD is kinda not a good idea for 500hp unless you build it for that much. no guys i know wont use a stock AOD to 500hp without bulletproffing it first
im worryed that that cam is too radical(im thinking your running a small block 302-351)
an that would make your ride uncomfortable and even more of a gas hog because you have to rase the idle speed so it wont die when you stop. ill get down to it- i would keep the car cuz its sounds like a monster(500hp dual flowmaster) and get a cheap 5.0 to run around in. either a t-5 or a AOD(lazy and a better for a daily driver)a t-5 conversion matters how much you drive on the street and freeway i cant ever get on 5th(O.D.) on the street

G

·
0 Posts
Did you mean Tremec Tko, johnbear?? A t5 wouldn't be a good idea behind a beast like that. But I have seen people from MM forum who are doing it with built up 351's... I sure wouldn't.

also, if you don't like the 2 chambers, dont freakin give up on the car!?!? I hated my dynomax st's, I even started a big thread about how much I hated them. But they seem to have broken in or something and they have the ideal sound for cruising and when you get on it, it has a hell of a sound. Very low rumble, and don't sound like every white trash sailor's car around here. Damn sailor's. Anyway, do this...
Buy summit 14 dollar turbo's and then go down to a muffler shop in a mexican part of town, and they will put em on cheap.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I converted my 67 from a C-4 to an AOD a year ago. I have a 351W in the car. My fuel mileage averaged about 10 with the C-4. I now get 23 mpg on the highway with the AOD. At 65mph I'm cranking 2250 rpm with my AOD/wheel combo. Be prepared to spend as much for an AOD conversion as a T-5 though. (Unless you can get a smoking deal on a good used AOD).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The RX-7 is nice but it is still over 10 years old and the rotary is noted for problems if it ever over heats. (Long discussion as to why but there is a solid engineering reason) plus they do not get great MPG anyway. Back to your car, sorry to hear you're not happy with your set-up. Sounds like a real beast. If you’re willing to give up some HP, then put in a milder cam, smaller carb (600 CFM w/ vacuum secondary) and quieter mufflers. If you have the funds, you could always switch over to EFI which should give you much better around town MPG. If the need for speed hits, you have a weekend project to go back to the hot set-up. Also, if you de-tune the motor a bit, a T5 could survive. I agree with the others, keep your car and change it to meet your needs. Good luck

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Do you have an X pipe or at lest and H pipe? In my experience it quiets them down a little, especially the X.

An AOD will also still have more parasitic drag than a manual, whether it is a T-5 or a toploader. The only time an AOD might be better is compared to a toploader with LOTS of highway/freeway driving. I doubt you're doing a lot of that with your set-up.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Solution: Smaller carburetor, lighter foot, quieter mufflers. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts