Vintage Mustang Forums banner

MSD Box location

5K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  krynn44@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
Thinking about mounting the MSD box behind the fender. There appears to be plenty of room and there are no user adjustments for it. I've used them for years and have never had a problem with them. I've run out of room in the engine bay. The tape is there just for mock up.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Well, I've never had one fail. Most of the failures that I have seen are because of faulty wiring. I've personally had at least 5 of these without one failure.

#5 ·
There's a plastic shield that should go in front. I've seen an Infinity Box installed there. You could make some sort of a bracket that would mount it with easily accessible bolts. Then just pull the shield in case your spark disappears. You can even put wires through the cowl hat or antenna wire grommet to feed power.

#6 ·
I originally had mine in the glovebox, I thought it was causing interference so I went through the butt pain of moving it to the fender well as well. Turned out not to be interference but I still like the location. I did use shielded wires for the triggers though to be safe. The metal splash shield does a good job of keeping it clean and water out, not perfect but good enough and the box is supposed to be able to withstand elements. She’s seen many a track day as well and I’ve never had an issue, easy to get to it need be, took me 5 mins to pop the shield off to take these for you :)

Reactions: rusty1161
#7 ·
Dam! and I thought I had an innovative idea.:p:p

#8 ·
Lol! I hid pretty much everything, I’m very particular about a clean engine bay so I always looks for places to hide stuff ?

#10 ·

Made it over to the shop. With the MSD mounted where it is, the wires make it to the coil on the front of the radiator support, the power to the MSD (big red) makes it to the battery side of the starter solenoid and the red wire that goes to the ignition switch makes it to the ignition switch on my control panel (beside the diver seat).

I don't have the momentary switch wire hooked up to the starter solenoid yet.

Allen

#13 ·
That place gives me the willies, don't think I could do it. Does not look like a place electronics belong, especially with exposed connections e.g. the chip. I tucked mine next to the radiator on the support on the drivers side under the regulator 23 years ago. Painted it satin black, sanded the fins though and taped off the MSD sticker. Coil is on the block, again painted satin black. It disappears in that corner there and has been happy there...

#14 ·
Everything I've ever heard about CDI boxes says you should make it easily swapable and carry two spares in your trunk.

#16 ·
I’ve have two Mustangs, one for 18 years and one for 6, both have had MSD boxes the entire time and anytime I thought it was the box it turned out it was something else or wiring. Just my experience and I’ve found that even a lot of my friends that suspected the box turned out to be something else and MSD themselves have always said the same, just my take though. I have zero issues having it there, it has the slash shield to protect it and it’s easy to get in and out with the rubber mounts and weatherpack connectors I put in. May not be for everyone but in my case I wanted no wiring or external stuff visible in my engine bay unless you were looking for it so it wasn’t option.

#19 ·
No way I’d mount the MSD box per the OP. I’ve had my 6AL box since 2004, without fail, but I sure want it easily accessible if it does die.

Mine.

Mark

#23 ·
I have a sheet of 18 ga steel, a finger brake and shear, I could make one of those easy.

Reactions: QuietChris
#21 ·
I put my Crane box under the dash pad where the speakers used to hang out, heaven help me if it ever fails.

#22 ·
lol, I generally don't keep a spare box around myself anyway so if it fails I'm going to be waiting for the part so I'm not near as concerned about accessibility as everyone else. I think you'll be alright :D

Reactions: kechke
#25 ·
My ignition box are mounted under the driver seat with 4 cable ties and the EFI box sits hidden below the glove box. Both are fairly easy to access, because they are mounted with additional wiring so they can be pulled out if you just cut the ties. It have been placed like that for some years now. I prefer electronics to be placed in a friendly climate, no heat or moisture, when possible. The factory electronics placed under the hood on modern cars, are way better sealed and boxed than a classic MSD ignition box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.