Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had it fixed but the timing is still creeping on me. I just can't get a good enough bite on the retaining bracket. The problem is that the base of the distributor is taller and totally smooth so theres not much to bite. Since it puts the hold down bracket at an angle theres even less. I ground on it a little(it is a chrome one) to level it and put some hash marks on it for bite but my distributor will still turn after a few runs. I even called MSD and suggested that they put a surface on this so its not so smooth and they will probably do that someday. I can turn it by hand with the nut tight and I mean tight. Any more tighter and part of the nut will stay in the block while the rest flies off into space. I wonder if the stock type bracket would work any better?

G

·
0 Posts
Try lining it up level & putting a washer or 2 under the bolt to level it. Also I'm tuning a 632 Chevy this weekend(Shhhhhhhhhh) & we had the same problem, cut a piece off of a sticky back DA paper, 60 grit & stuck it on. Got 8 hours of Dyno time last night without moving a degree.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I made a custom hold down for the unit in the race car so I know what you mean.....

You could always braze some material onto the back side of a stock clamp to space the clamp up and use a small piece of 60G emery between the clamp and the distributor body...

Personally, as I haven't had any problems with my clamp, I think if you get the thing sitting parallel, you should be OK...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I rummaged around my parts drawer and found a stock one that is quite a bit thicker and it holds it good. The chrome sometimes just isn't worth the shiney.

I'm about to go run it this afternoon. I got an alignment on my new front bug tires. Both toes were off from my skid.

Carb is at 72 and 79 with a 8.5 power valve and 28 / 32 shooters. The shooters may be too big now with the power valve coming on quicker. I will probably go back to 25/28 and start over and try from there.

I got a stainless salad bowl(ok don't laugh, LOL) and cut the bottom out and made myself a dog dish top for the carb like the old Shelby R's had. It looks fantabulous and should help channel air to the carb a little smoother maybe.

I just hope I can go in a straight line and not blow it up, LOL.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Good luck and stay safe!

If you haven't left yet....if this is the first time out since the end swap (can't remember), feel the car out.....do some hard leaves but mellow it in high gear and pay attention to handling and feel and listen for noises...

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I think that's a great idea ! If you ever take a pic I'd like to see how it turns out....Dickson

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many Q bah denches is enough? LOL. Holy crap. A 632. Maybe I could just strap 2 289's together somehow. Merlin 2? Those are supposed to make over 900.

G

·
0 Posts
Never enuf cubes! It had Big Chiefs from Sonny Leonard on it with 2 BG Dominators. Track was damp & only went 7.70'[email protected] with a 1.40 60'. Too bad it wasn't a Ford!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts