Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a msd distributor for my 289. it is a 'ready to go' distributor and the person whom bought it for me said i didnt need an ignition box.

so i install it. i can start the car with it and rev the engine up and it sounds great [i also bought super conductor msd wires]

so i get my new t-5 tranny in it and take it for a test drive.

then everything thing goes wrong. i start driving and the car starts missing and poping out the carb. after that i took the car back home took the msd distributer out and put the old stock distributor and wires back on the car and it work perfectly

wats the problem?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Easy fix first - verify that the dist. hold down clamp is down tight and that the dizzy did not rotate on you when the engine was running. The rotor should be pointing at the #1 terminal on the dist. cap when #1 piston is at TDC on the firing stroke. If all this checks out, then next . . .

hmmm, backfiring through the carb - is that not a lean condition or too much timing advance? I'd run a timing light on it and learn what the base timing is and then how much total timing is obtained. Perhaps the former owner of the dizzy had it curved to the specs of a highly modified engine. You curve the dizzy by changing the bushing and springs. Springs regulate when the timing advance comes in and the bushing regulates how much timing advance can be obtained.

good luck.

·
Registered
436 Posts
OK, maybe i'm goofy BUT... don't you need some sort of control module for the MSD electronic distributor?? How did you hook it up? It doesn't use points, something has to control the spark.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Could it be a non-electronic pick-up dizzy (points style)? Otherwise, yes, he would need some type of controller, at a minimum a duraspark control box since the MSD pickup is the Ford duraspark II pickup.

I ran my MSD dizzy with a Jacobs ignition box.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
flicktra said:
don't you need some sort of control module for the MSD electronic distributor??
Not if it's an MSD "Ready To Run" unit. I put one of these in my '66 - no box needed.

As to your problem, I suggest you try running it with the vacuum advance disconnected (if you have one). I have had a problem with mine wanting to advance the timing so far it backfires out the carb, like your symptom. Turned out to be too much vacuum advance too soon.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Didja set the timing? Sure doesn't sound like it.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
First thing to do, is to see what timing curve is in it, and adjust it if necessary. There's a chart on MSD's site that will tell you the curve, based on the springs and the bushing that are installed (springs and bushings are color coded).

Second thing is to do as MrFreeze says. The problem sounds like too much timing advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya well i timed it for sure

i need to go on the website and see if i have the right springs in it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts