Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i have a 347 stroker, 3G alt and mini high torque starter with MSD dizzy and MSD blaster 2 coil. is ignition MSD ignition 6 worth it?

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
There's nothing wrong with an MSD ignition. My take is I've never seen any evidence demonstrating a high-end aftermarket ignition is any better than a factory distributor. Same for the "MSD Box". What does it do? I've never seen a good answer.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Search “msd failure” or “msd sucks” and there’s a boat load of auto forums with users who have bought the MSD boxes and have had premature failures.

This includes me too, with having bought (2) of those to use in prior Fox bodies years ago and they both failed within less than a year of ownership. Never again, not with how much they cost.

You want a reliable ignition box, go with a Crane. It’s smaller, it’s much more resistant to heat and extreme weather conditions AND it’s totally reliable. I have had a Crane Fireball HI6S box on my 94 Cobra for over 12 years now with no issues at all.

Here’s a good comparison (open boxes) and tech notes:

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Some like some hate, i've had one for 23 years works great. I am one that thinks they work better than stock, car always starts on teh first compression stroke no matter how slow the car turns over. Love the rev limitter, cannot tell you how many times I ride the limitter through the timing lights in autocrosses not wanting to loose time shifting

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Some like some hate, i've had one for 23 years works great. I am one that thinks they work better than stock, car always starts on teh first compression stroke no matter how slow the car turns over. Love the rev limitter, cannot tell you how many times I ride the limitter through the timing lights in autocrosses not wanting to loose time shifting
Yeah, what he said!

Mark

·
Premium Member
13,853 Posts
I drank the MSD kool-aid for about 15 years. Full system, the +6 digital box, MSD distributor, MSD HVC-II coil, MSD 8.5mm spark plug wires, etc....

Before a scheduled dyno session, I was challenged (by respected Mustang and Shelby authority ) to compare the MSD numbers vs a new set of stock points, and to compare ease of starting as well.

surprise ! no difference.

I went back to stock and couldn't have been happier, & with the bonus of having the engine bay looking 100% cleaner.

There is the "no-maintenance" aspect of the MSD parts which I hear some people adore. But I don't dig classic cars so I can treat them like a Subaru. I actually enjoy opening the hood, and setting points and timing, or doing whatever else needs attention. Trouble is, stock points only need adjustment once every 7,500 miles.

;)

Z

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I too have a Crane HI 6. It has been rock solid for years. I like that you can select the rev limit via dial switches vs buying different chips for the MSD. With Crane being out of business I see they are now labeled as FAST HI 6 at places like JEGS. I trigger mine with a Duraspark dizzy recurved by Dan @ Mustang Barn.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I don't know if I'd do MSD now, but it does help a less than perfectly tuned setup. If your jetting and timing are spot-on, there's probably no difference. But I can tell you, when I was a teen with an admittedly off-the-shelf Holley 600 ( pre-internet, I didn't know any better ) that was a jetted rich, fowling plugs driving in the snow, the MSD 6AL cleared it right up !! I'm also a believer in rev. limiters, but there are other ways to get that.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Yeah, what he said!

Mark
Hhmmm.2 Guys named Mark with blue fastbacks .plugging for MSD , smells like a conspiracy ?

·
Premium Member
13,853 Posts
I too have a Crane HI 6. It has been rock solid for years. I like that you can select the rev limit via dial switches vs buying different chips for the MSD.
the MSD digital 6+ box, and some others in their lineup also are using the dial type switches for the rev limiter & other functions.

Z

·
Registered
585 Posts
I went with a MSD pro non vac dist locked out at 35 deg. MSD digital 6 box. most powerful coil for non racing, cant remember the number. I really like the capability of designing my own timing curve, no vac or mechanical. I sacrificed a cap and drilled a hole in it to watch the spark action and adjust phased rotor. At low rpm the box and coil would fire three times on the pole, raising the revs it reduced to 2 hits and finally high rpm one hit, hence MSD. I know there was a lot of fake msd boxes around and some dissatisfied people may have bought them.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
the MSD digital 6+ box, and some others in their lineup also are using the dial type switches for the rev limiter & other functions.

Z
Yes, but at more than twice the price.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
Well, I suppose if your build includes 14:1 compression running to 8,500 rpm on a nitromethane blend then maybe you need an MSD box....

·
Premium Member
13,853 Posts
“......I know there was a lot of fake msd boxes around and some dissatisfied people may have bought them.
I bought mine straight from the MSD factory in El Paso. Pretty sure they don’t sell fakes out of their own factory.

it’s not that I was “dissatisfied “ exactly, I just woke up and realized I had $1,000 in a fancy ignition system, and it wasn’t doing a damn thing for me that mattered. My Paxton cars, and the Weber K Code, ran just the same on Fords own points and condenser.

Yes, but at more than twice the price.
I just wanted to point out MSD has the dial setting features also.

If one drinks the electronic ignition kool-aid like I did, price doesn’t matter, gotta have that hotter spark: hotter has to be “better” right ?

My MSD system put our so much voltage thru their fancy coil, that the coil tower actually melted. excessive voltage Didn’t translate into anything else (for me), except maybe nonsensical hotter spark bragging rights.

Z

PS. when I first put in all the MSD gear, I had myself convinced that my car’s mpg had increased. And it did increase, yeah, only because I was driving like grandpa. Once I started driving “normal” again,the mpg got back to what it had always been.
ha ha.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I run a 6A and mech dizzy, and enjoy the fact that I have a rev limiter for autox, and the ease of setting up the dizzy and advance. Does it improve performance, I notice it at the high end by not falling off after 5800-6000, and the immediate cold starts. I can go out, not touched my car for 3 mos, tap the gas, hit the key, and it starts everytime. I check my plugs after every few autox runs, and I've never had a plug run this clean and consistent. The plugs are easy to read; temp, rich/lean, etc. Is it better than stock? To some, maybe not, to others, I see improvements and more consistentancy. I noticed MSD is specific regarding wiring and provided power sources; no rigging or cheezy wiring. No probs on this end. A little pricey, but so's everything else on our cars.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,159 Posts
I put a 6al on my dads GTO over 20 years ago, it ran for years. I put a 6al on my first fox body mustang and ran it for years. I tore the car down and sold the box to a friend of mine and he proceeded to hook it up incorrectly and melted the wires all the way to the box. I spliced on new wires and it ran for years after. To say that they add any measurable HP would be a stretch, but then again there are a ton of mods we do that the dyno can't measure. I picked up a 6al used, for dirt cheap, that will probably sit on my shelf now as I am going with the pro flo 4 set up.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I put a MSD 6 on a '86 TBird turbo coupe, the car had always had a rough idle and sometimes took longer to start than what I considered normal. After the MSD install, it would fire up immediately and the idle smoothed out. No other changes were made. I don't know if there was a performance or mileage increase, but the smoother idle on that shaky turbo 4 was worth it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts