Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together a 408 stroker and have started to think about the ignition system. The stock duraspark has done a good job for me so far with just a hotter coil and getting my advance curve right. I would like input from some of you all that know. Is the MSD 6A or Digital box and distributor worth the change or is the Duraspark up to the job. I am not planning to put nitrous on this motor.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Honestly, I'd use a duraspark distributor (with the Crane adjustable vacuum advance kit...it has lighter mechanical advance springs so the curve can come in early like engines with hotter cams like!) triggering a MSD 6AL.

My .02

G

·
0 Posts
The Duraspark/MSD-6AL is a good set-up. The BSD distributor is a little more adjustable but you can do the same with the FOMOCO unit, it's just a little harder.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I have a Duraspark distributor with a MSD 6 AL on a 392W.

Idle is much cleaner than the old Duraspark system, starts immediately, I was able to open my plug gap to .050" and I don't have to worry about the Duraspark ECM dying like they do occasionally.
Another added benefit is that I have a rev limiter now too! Every Auto Zone in the USA has a 351W duraspark distributor...Just in case!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Is the MSD 6A or Digital box and distributor worth the change or is the Duraspark up to the job.

I ran a Duraspark distributor and MSD 6A back in the early 80's on the 289/302 combo's in the race car with good success. Inexpensive and effective ignition system and a bit more forgiving of extreme operating conditions than a stock Duraspark unit..

I'd say just change the box...

I run a complete Autotronics system on the W in the race car but only because I didn't have a stock distributor to stick in there..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts