Vintage Mustang Forums banner

MSD ignition

955 Views 6 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Guest
Has anyone installed an MSD distributor/control box/coil in a 289?? I want to upgrade to the best and want to know how easy they are to install and any reccomendations on which products to purchase
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,746 Posts
I run with guys all the time with MSD/Mallory/whoknowswhat....and never have the ignition problems they do. It's cool to beat 'em with "stock stuff"

I'd buy a Pertronix unit, use a stock distributor & coil and spend the money on something that would make me more power,....like a blower!

http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Photos/DCP_0355_178x109.jpg
"If you're under control you're not going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones
Try my website

G

·
I did it on a 351C and it runs great (so far). I used all MSD stuff; 6AL, tach adapter, blaster 2 coil, small diameter mechanical advance distributor and MSD 8.5MM wires.

1970 Mach 1, soon to be finished, 351 4V, Calypso Coral, top loader

· Gone but never forgotten
25,083 Posts
In my '66 (Curently 289/C4 Combo) I have a stock distributor with Pertronix, Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil and MSD-6AL control box. By upgrading to a hotter coil, you can open the plug gap some. By upgrading to a ignition control module such as the MSD or Mallory Hi-Fire, you can increase the gap even further.

The MSD-6 (or MSD-6AL) is very easy to install and works great. For street use, the MSD-6 is fine, but if you have an manual tranny, it may be worth the extra $50 for the 6AL as it has a built in rev-limiter. It comes with several chips for different rev limits, that are very easily swapped.

While you can get a little better idle and starting with an ignition module like the MSD6 series, the real advantage is at higher RPMs as it has a large capacitor that delivers a much more accurate spark than a more stock setup.

A coil without tthe aid of a ignition module has a hard time "keeping up" at higher RPM's. It's difficult to fully sature a coil at say 5,000 RPMs (which would mean on a V8 the coil must be saturated approx. 667 times every second!)

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

· Registered
3,746 Posts
With a plug gap that is "bigger" where is the power increase coming from?

How much power?

All I'm saying is that on a dollar for dollar basis I feel the majority of people create more problems than the performance enhancement they get from a "Multiple Spark Discharge" device and/or aftermarket distributor. It's a MARKETING deal!

I turn my 289 to 7000 rpm all the time (stock yellow top coil, Pertronix, Paxton blower) and never experience a miss as long as I keep my plug gaps to 0.035" or less. Only if I open up the plug gap do I get a high rpm miss as the blower increases the effective compression ratio.

It's only an opinion. I'd still save my $$ for something else.

http://home.netcom.com/~jonescha/Photos/DCP_0355_178x109.jpg
"If you're under control you're not going fast enough"
Parnelli Jones
Try my website

G

·
I installed the MSD 6A box, Blaster 2 Coil, and MSD Billet distributor, along with Accel 300+ 8.8 mm wires. Engine runs great. Starts much easier. One thing you should make sure you do is use the right distributor advance springs. The stock ones are fine but if you step up to the light blue springs you will get a little more power. Hope this helps.

Stang6767
Bryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.