Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So, does anyone have an opinion on MSD 6A vs MSD 6AL? Any opinions on MSD in general? I have a Jacobs coil in my 65 FB, 289 4 bbl... it's been giving me problems and I would like to replace it w/ something very reliable.

Also, do I need to buy an ignition module (such as the 6A), a coil and a distributor.. i thought the ignition module replaced the coil...

thanks for your time,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have an MSD 6AL and am very happy with it. I do not have any other point of reference since this is my first aftermarket system like this. I will say that when the 6AL box crapped out on me (and I think I caused the problem) they sent me a new box at no charge.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi Jay

The MSD 6AL does the same thing that the 6A, except one, the MSD 6AL has a rev limiter (you put the max rpm that your engine can reach).
The ignition module needs a coil.
You can use just the coil, or just the module but for best results use both. The distributor isn't esential, you can use your points or electronic one.
It's a nice improvement

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The 6AL is more expandible than the 6A, in addition to having the rev limiter. You can purchase all kinds of ignition accessories to plug into the 6AL, but most people, other than serious racers don't.

So in a nutshell, if you have a manual tranny, you should get the 6AL for the rev limiter. If you have an automatic, you can go with the 6A, since missed shifts aren't a problem.

I'm running an MSD-6AL in my '66 coupe with a stock distributor (re-curved) with Pertronix Ignitor, Pertronix Flame Thrower Coil, MSD Cap-Adapt HEI style distributor cap, and MSD 8mm wires. I lik this setup a lot, and it's pretty econimcal, all in all.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have the MSD 6AL box, billet distributor, and coil in the Fastback. Everything has been great so far, but I really appreciate the rev limiter feature. The Centerforce clutch has also been flawless for typical street driving. However, recently, (500 miles since since competion) I figured that it was time to wring things out a little. That's when I found out the the clutch pedal stuck to the floor between the 1st to 2nd shift somwhere between 5000 and 6000 rpm. The feel and action of the clutch pedal was so good during typical driving that I hadn't removed the "over-the-center" spring (as some have recommended). Centerforce diaphram clutches are designed to reduce pedal effort as RPMs increase. In my case, the pedal spring overcame the clutches ability to return the pedal until the rpms dropped back down. The 6000 chip in the rev limiter kept the engine under control during this situation which, otherwise, could have caused excessive rpms and associated damage.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Well just an opinion...from what I have seen, Jacobs stuff is made in Taiwan.....and MSD in the USA....

QUality wise...the MSD has given me crisp performance

I ended up getting the MSD6AL with rev limiting functions and
the capability to upgrade to other components.

PLus MSD customer support service is unmatched I am sure many would agree with me.

go MSD!!!

ps I am getting my MSD stuff powder coated ford blue.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Any opinions on MSD in general?

Been running Autotronics products for about 23 years now.....good product and company. Still have the original 6A I bought back in '79 (maybe it'll be a collectible *G*).

Just run a 6A with a stock coil and points...it'll work fine. I'm still using an old Voltmaster coil (Mallory) on the race car and have used everything from single points to the current MSD distributor. All worked fine...

The neat thing about running stock stuff is that, if the MSD takes a poop (unlikely), just disconnect it and run as normal. Points last longer with the MSD because there's just a trigger amperage across them...

Have fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you ALL for your input. This site is so useful! It is what the internet was made for...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm sure i'm posting this too late for anyone to notice but, for the record, my Jacob's unit is made in usa. it is more than 5 years old.. they may have changed manufacturing locations by now..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts