Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried these? They appear to gave a gas strut attached and are about half the price of the billet hinges.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Only limitation I see is that they are intended for use on fiberglass hoods. The $495 billet model is for fiberglass or sheet metal. If you have a 'glass hood, it might be a good option.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Don't "fear" the billet ones. Yeah, I know they're expensive. After going through 3 sets of OE steel ones on
my '68 since 1968, I went to billet and never looked back. They are way better than the Ford units.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Don't "fear" the billet ones. Yeah, I know they're expensive. After going through 3 sets of OE steel ones on
my '68 since 1968, I went to billet and never looked back. They are way better than the Ford units.
Who made the billet hinges you purchased? On my restomod, I am using a hydroboost from Hydratech and need a hinge that is narrower than stock.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Joe Daddy's Garage has a video with setup and installation. I think he liked them...take a look on his youtube page.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Who made the billet hinges you purchased? On my restomod, I am using a hydroboost from Hydratech and need a hinge that is narrower than stock.
I've got the Eddie Motorsports / Eddie Marine units.

Width-wise, about 2 3/8" from sheet sheetmetal where they mount to the farthest part of the strut.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Getting ready to order same brake setup and already using Eddie Motorsports, hoping they clear ok.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I just received my hood and the hinges you are asking about. I hope to mount the hood soon, so hopefully I can provide some input.

The hinges themselves appear to be modified SD repros. The spring is gone and there is a ball stud mount as well as they have an additional bracket that moves the hood side strut mount further out/forward. The bracket goes over the hinge and the bolts go all the way through to the hood.
20200113_165539.jpg

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Why did you choose the Eddie units over the MTF units?
Price and opportunity. I had read several good reports on the Eddie hinges and it just so happened that someone posted they had a set for sale. They had bought them decided on a different path. Never used and let me have them for about half what the MTF units cost. I suspect he may have gone with different brand so he could get matching trunk hinges. Eddie for some reason sells hinges for 65 coupe but not the fastback.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Price and opportunity. I had read several good reports on the Eddie hinges and it just so happened that someone posted they had a set for sale. They had bought them decided on a different path. Never used and let me have them for about half what the MTF units cost. I suspect he may have gone with different brand so he could get matching trunk hinges. Eddie for some reason sells hinges for 65 coupe but not the fastback.
That makes a lot of sense. I'd like to go with this style of hinge but dislike MTF's logo placement. I general don't like to advertise for companies, unless it's something originally seen on cars, like Edelbrock engine components or tires.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I haven't run the plug wires yet :( I wish it was wireless.

It's a Holley HP set up with SEFI and a dual sync distributor. I have just always wanted to run this hood. I had a similar hood on a newer Mustang I had years ago. Plus the car has a custom long Shelby style nose

20200114_174601.jpg

·
Registered
187 Posts
I haven't run the plug wires yet :( I wish it was wireless.

It's a Holley HP set up with SEFI and a dual sync distributor. I have just always wanted to run this hood. I had a similar hood on a newer Mustang I had years ago. Plus the car has a custom long Shelby style nose

View attachment 741716
That's my favorite mustang hood, by far. I have a 67, so if I ever decide to change the hood, it would be a 67 shelby hood, which is a close second. Your car is looking good!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts