Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a dual exhaust kit for my 68 coup the dealer installed type with the turbo mufflers. the problem is the picture shows the inlet side being the centered tube and the outlet being the offset tube side with the welded on hangar attatchment point. this cant work the mufflers hit the drive shaft and they are on an angle. so i turned them around and they fit perfect for the exception of the hangar point is now in the front. a local muffler shop told me that turbo mufflers can go in either direction. Idont know if that is true but the car sounds like crap it sounds like a bunch of firecrackers going off in an empty garbage pail. The ford manual shows dealer installed dual exhaust in that car as the offset side being the inlet and the centerd being the outlet. dose anyone know if it sounds bad because the mufflers are backwards.Or should i just scrap them and put on better throatier mufflers. Any sugestions ?

·
Registered
391 Posts
If it's anything like the system for my `66, the opening in the center faces forward, and the offset faces the back of the car. The offset outlet should be closest to the side of the car, not the driveshaft.

If you are converting from single to dual, you will need new hangers that bolt/are welded to the floorboard.

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Turbos can be installed in either direction. They generally sound sorry either way. Install a pair of Flowmasters and smile. Best regards John

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
unless of course you get dynomax super turbos (which sound SWEEEEEEETT!!)

and by not getting flowmasters you dont sound like every 5.0 or camaro on the street!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts