Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear club members! Have a Mustang 67 with straight 6 and 200 cui ie. standard engine, 3 speed manual. Planning to upgrade the standard muffler to one with more muscle car sound, more of deep and low frequencies. It is always a consideration of how much it should be heard inside, preferably moderately but not too little either;) Looked most at Flowmaster 40, 2.25 ". Do any of you have the same or other that you are very happy with?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Autozone sells a turbo muffler that sounds great. My SIL put one on his 96 C1500, when he rolled up, I thought he had a full catback on.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
#1 Mustangs are not muscle cars.
A 200 I6 will not have a "classic sound" (closer if you get a split header)
#3 Once again the correct answer is a Glasspack, Start with a 12" if its too loud for you get a longer one.

You DO NOT want such a large one. 2" or even less will sound better

·
Registered
36,513 Posts
If you really want the 'sound' get dual headers and stock GT 2" dual exhaust. Have the installer, when he makes the connector pipes between the exhaust and headers add an H style crosstube. People will mistake the car for a V8.

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
182 Posts
I have dual flowmaster 40s with a Y at the front. Love the sound.

·
Registered
123 Posts
2.25 or 2.5in are the best sizes for performance with a single exhaust. My favorite is the summit turbo muffler. It sounds too loud at first but after a year you get used to it and it sounds exactly right. My wifes six cylinder mustang has a thrush which is the quietest turbo. Even with the thrush our friends think it sounds like a nice v8. If you have a mandrel bent exhaust and anything better than the thrush you will notice a nice increase in power.

The flowmaster is a level above the turbos in loudness and power but you don't know if it's what you like until you try it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts