Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question, does anybody have any suggestions how to remove the rear muffler on a '66 A-code convertible with single exhaust. Loosening the bolts and clamps was easy, but I can't get the muffler of the main pipe. The muffler pipe goes over the main pipe and I can't get them apart, niether when cold or hot. I used a hammer, but the damn'^thing wouldn't move.

thanks for your advice ::

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
With the clamp(s) off, use a welding torch to heat the muffler neck cherry red, at least 1/3 to 1/2 the way around. Keep the torch moving, if you don't, you will burn a hole through both neck and the pipe it's on. Try to twist the muffler until it gets loose, then remove the pipe. Twist back and forth.
IF you are replacing the muffler with another new muffler, you could do a manuver know as an "outside skin" cut. This means you burn the neck,but not burn the pipe it's on.
ALTERNATIVE: if you are replacing the muffler with a new one, cut the neck with a grinder on both sides, that should loosen it.
Becareful if you choose to use a torch, you are right next to the fuel tank.
I used to manage a Midas Muffler shop.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, If you have a compressor and an air hammer , there is a special bit that is made for peeling the muffler off of the pipe without damage to the exhaust pipe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts