Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus on mufflers for a 289 lately?

New Hi-Po exhaust manifolds installed*, 600 cfm Holley, performance cam.

The shop I go to suggested Flowmaster 40 series and I said I want to go quieter than that, so he suggested Cherry Bombs. Am I better off buying my own mufflers? I want to get this right.

Thinking about going without a crossover.

My current setup was installed with headers that I had removed. It looks like the mufflers I'm running are $30 off-the-shelf junk.

·
Registered
34,247 Posts
What is the consensus on mufflers for a 289 lately?
Consensus? What do you want?

New Hi-Po exhaust manifolds installed*, 600 cfm Holley, performance cam.
Were the heads port-matched to the manifolds? If not, you are losing significant power.

The shop I go to suggested Flowmaster 40 series and I said I want to go quieter than that, so he suggested Cherry Bombs. Am I better off buying my own mufflers? I want to get this right.
Again, what do you want? Sounds like stock or turbo (stock is a form of turbo) mufflers.

Thinking about going without a crossover.
You would be throwing away 15 horsepower.

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I originally had a set of "turbo" mufflers installed for a couple years, they were cheap and sounded "OK".

I needed a couple bungs installed for an O2 sensor and the shop had some magnaflow knock offs that they claimed sounded just like magnaflow. I had them put them on and I absolutely love how the car sounds now. Mostly quiet at idle/cruise (I have OD), but they sound really good when you get on it.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I will second the Magnaflow system.

Now if you want to go top dollar, check out original style Mustang Arvinode Exhaust

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
^That's not too far off how my car sounds with the magnaflow knock offs now (but that does sound even cooler). It sounded more "truck-like" with the "turbos".

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm old school, and a 289 Ford doesn't sound right to me unless it's screaming through a set of glasspacks. Save the chambered mufflers for your coyote :wink:

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
Go with a set of turbo style mufflers. I’m running a set of Hedman headers turbo mufflers. Extremely well made and in the USA to boot. No droning and they sound great. I’ve also used the Summit brand of turbo mufflers. They’re well made and cheap, I’d recommend them as well. Don’t forget the Walker Dynomax. They’re really what I wanted but didn’t have the center inlet my exhaust system specified. Actually the offset inlet would have fit better in hindsight.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm going to step on some toes here, but Flowmasters (and other chambered exhausts) sound like firecrackers in a trashcan. They have an empty, hollow, cheap sound to them, much like the souls of the people who run them. They are perfect for millennials, and people who think that Type-R stickers and coffee can exhaust tips add 50 horsepower.

Cherry bombs (and other straight-through glasspack mufflers) sound amazing, with a beautiful raspy, muscular snarl to them. They may, however, be too much for your ears if you do a lot of highway cruising.

If that's your intent, I would suggest some good 'turbo' mufflers, which are a good compromise of sound quality and quietness, or Magnaflows (which are effectively a glasspack muffler with better sound damping).

·
Registered
827 Posts
I picked up a complete dual exhaust with H-Pipe from CJPP . Wanted to run duals with the new motor rebuild. My 289 has AFR165 heads, Hipo exhaust manifolds and a mild cam. When I fired her up the first time I was pleasantly surprised by the sound. It has a pleasant rumble but is not too loud when you get on it. It was reasonably cheap, fit very well, and sounds pretty good. Wasn't looking for a loud car on this project so I was very happy with the result.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts