Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my exhaust system after the H-pipe. I'm probably going to have a local shop do this part. But as many of you have done before I need to choose mufflers without hearing them first. I've read the Flowmaster and Dynomax posts, but I wonder how the sound compares to the original dual exhaust systems on our cars. I honestly don't know the last time I heard what I know to be an original dual exhaust Mustang.

What are your experiences with original Ford exhaust systems with and without resonators compaired to the Flowmasters, Dynomax, cheap Turbos, etc.

I want something with some sound at idle and load, but not too much resonance and/or pop.

I was thinking of the Dynomax mufflers, but I'm affraid they will be too quiet like my current cheap turbos.

My car is a C-code convertible with Holley 600, C4, 3.55:1 rear. It has Hi-Po manifolds and a 2" Hi-Po H-pipe, I'll want a 2" system that will neck down to the GT trumpets.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Jason, there was an article a while back in one of the magazines, where they took the same car (early 289 I think) and put several different pipe/muffler setups including the Delta 40 AND 50's, and also a "generic" setup that NPD sells, and rated them for sound at idle and highway speeds. I'll look and see if I can find it tonight.

You'll have to let me know if you find a good "Mustang-friendly" muffler shop. I've been cosidering re-doing my pipes too.

G

·
0 Posts
If you find this article, can you make sure to post it here so others can benefit?

TIA!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a 2.5" system with H-pipe and Flowmaster delta flow 50 series behind my 331, and contrary to what some have said, I do not find them to be abnoxious or have a significant amount of drone at highway speeds. I have 3.55s so I am turning about 3K at 65.

Dave

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I was and still am a fan of Spintech mufflers. The Dynomax Super Turbos are my favorites for the street but I have to tell you, we just put a pair of the cheapie ($14.95) Summit Turbo mufflers on a friends car and the sound is excellent, very much like the Dynomaxs.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, I vagely remember that. I'll have to look through my stacks of magazines to find it.

I've used AAA muffler in Mesquite for the last 10 years. It is run by the owners and they have done every car I've ever had, much cheaper than the chains and they will take the time to make it right. My only problem before was how to get the car to them with just manifolds, that is when I decided to buy a pre-made H-pipe from one of the vendors. I now have my 2" H-pipe stuffed into the old 2 1/4" system. I was lucky they were even close to fitting up, but now my trumpets are -eyed, they leak a little at the joint because of the angle, and one pipe is laying on the vert brace across the seat pans.

What kind of mufflers do you have now? What are you thinking of changing to?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I don't know for sure what type they are - I am guessing cheap turbos. I am wanting to swap it mostly as part of the cleaning up the undercarriage project. I want to replace it with one that's aluminized. I was kinda leaning toward a 2 1/4" w/ Delta 40's, maybe using 2" tailpipes to accomidate the GT trumpets. This of course it very subject to change depending how yours turns out./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to, but I think I should wait until the cruise in 2 weeks, get there early and shop for an exhaust note I like /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

IIRC the trumpets are 1 3/4", I plan to have the exhaust shop use some exhaust adapters to go from 2" to 1 3/4". I've always hated reducing the system this much, but I must have the trumpets. And with what I know about it, the exhaust velocity has slowed considerably by the time it gets to the tips, so I've never really worried about.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yeah, I think you are right about the diameter of the trumpets. You would think someone would make a version with a larger diameter. That's my dilema too because I gotta have 'em.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
For what you want, I'd recommend the Dynomax Super Turbos....i really like mine.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I just got through listening tp the different mufflers from that article on-line. Very cool.

I have a tendency to prefer the Flowmaster 40s. The NPD sounds alot like what I have now.

The bad thing is, whenever they do an exhaust system either in the magazines or even on one of the cable TV car shows like Horsepower TV, they NEVER use the GT trumpets.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What a coincidence .. I just installed yesterday a set of Dynomax super turbo mufflers on my 1965 gt. They sound great and not obnoxious. Took the advice from Mustang monthly article. They fit perfectly on my car and the part# 17762. They are 2 inches in diameter. They sound exactly as the ones that were replaced but don't know the brand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts