Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like how the transverse muffler tucks everything up nice and tight.

Im wondering how the transverse muffler performs.

Im thinking about the exhaust system for my 67 with a 250.

The 85+ Camaro also used a transverse muffler, it has the same dimensions as the Mustang muffler give or take a 1/2 inch. The Camaro muffler has a single 2 1/4 or 2/12 inlet and dual outlets.

The 85+ V8 Camaro was rated at 145-245 hp. My 250 will be somewhere in the 125-145hp range....I hope.

Im thinking that I could run a single 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 pipe to the transverse muffler with dual outlets.

If thats more trouble than its worth, I will run duals with two 30in glass packs and see how those sound. I like more on the quiet side, I rode big marine diesels for 22+ years and Im not into a lot of sound.

Unlike a falling tree, when a big marine diesel engine lights off and there is no one to hear it, its still damn loud.

Walker makes the replacement muff:

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Cool.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
My son has a dual out header, upgraded cam, in his 200. we ran full length dual exhaust over the axle and out the back. He’s got about 24 inch glasspacks. At idle you can hear the cam, but when he gets on it, the car is really loud, I mean louder than my V8s! It’s almost too much for me, I try to shift gears before the glasspaks start to “RAPP” out When I drive that car. Since he’s 20, he loves it.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the Walker Quiet Flow on my 65 6 cyl. I don’t think it is very quiet and sounds funny when you accelerate. Let us know how the Camaro muffler works out and sounds.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Why not run something like this?

Mustang Dual transverse exhaust system - #5210-12B - National Parts Depot

You could run split dual headers, or y the exhaust manifold to tie into the dual exhaust. This would be simpler than trying to convert the Camero muffler as all the fittings would work. The dual exhaust would have plenty of breathing for your 250 and sound quiet.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Meh... Personally, I always considered transverse mufflers to be pretty lame. I have no technical reasons to support my opinion here. If it was my car, I would bolt on two, three-way headers with actual dual exhaust just like a V8 car. I had a friend in high school who had that exact exhaust setup on his 1970 inline six Nova and it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Been running a Jones stainless steel transverse on the wifes 67 for sometime now. Not a loud muffler, but has a nice pleasant sound for my old ears, plus it's not expensive. Found it a Summit

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I like about the Camaro muff is that I can run a single pipe back to it and still have the appearance of factory duals. Less hardware, less weight, less complicated. Ive got a good muffle guy that likes working on classics so he can tuck it up just like the factory muff.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'm not sure of the sound you will get from that...but the split header w/ dual exhaust makes the 6 cylinder sound like a V8. not like a honda 4 cylinder or a single exhaust 6 banger that you can't ever hear. Besides...anything Camaro ain't going on my car....I'll do prius stuff before that.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its not Camaro stuff. Its a muffler made by Walker that has mulitiple applications.

Duels are really unnecessary on a six unless you have an Oz or Aluminum head.

My thinking is that it will not be loud, have the appearance of duels, and not hang under the car. If its to loud I will have room for a resonator.

Im going to buy the muffler and look at the feasibility. I can return it to Summit if I dont like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts