Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm headed out on vacation later this week with my vert. The bad thing is there's not enough room in it for me, SWMBO, the 3 boys, and our luggage for a week. So, I'm loading the mustang on a trailer and pulling it down to Tennessee for the week.

This got me thinking how very nice it would be if I could pull a little trailer behind the mustang that would give room for some baggage. I've even convinced myself I could make the whole hitch assembly removable except for a couple of brackets which would have to be welded to the rear frame rails.

Then I got to thinking...I wonder how hard it would be to make a trailer out of the back half of a car? In particular, how hard would it be to make one out of the back half of say...oh I don't know...a '68 Camaro maybe?

Can you imagine the looks you'd get pulling that thing around complete with Ralley wheels and RS/SS badges? Maybe it's just me. I really enjoy irony.

Phil

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I know that they sell mini two wheel luggage trailers. The a$$ end of a Camaro would be pretty heavy.

You can also stuff luggage into the engine compartment as I have seen done on "Stupid Behavior Caught on Tape".

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
These pics posted by Reedbr, shows a pony with a matching trailer, it was at Carlisle . It's about 1/2 way down the page. I wanted a trailer for my golf clubs, Exchevman is not going for it.

Carlisle 2003

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
Didn't they make a small luggage rack for the top of the trunk? I would hope that they would be detachable, of corse would it be big enough?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My vert came with a trailer hitch. It straddles the fuel tank, bolts up to the floor/fuel tank on the boot side and to the bottom of the bumper. Pretty meaty. I haven't actually held it up to the car but it looks like it would haul a good size trailer. Also, what about a luggage rack for some additional bags?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've actually considered almost the exact same thing. The hitch idea that is, not the Camaro trailer! :: I figured a pair of square tubes welded to the frame rails that a custom hitch would slide into and remove in minutes would be just the thing, not visible when the hitch is off but easy to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts