Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the other day about bolting up the clutch/bellhousing/tranny to the 302 and discovering the starter holes on the tin dust cover plate don't even come close to aligning up with the starter. Doofus #1. So tonite I grabbed a spare 'older' dust cover plate, rejuvinated it and made sure everything would match up. Then unbolted everything to remove the improper fitting dust plate. So far so good.

Got the right plate installed, then re-mounted the flywheel, clutch disk and the pressure plate. Looked in the manual and mis-read the torque specs for the pressure plate bolts and began tightening those 5/16" bolts to 40 lbs! :eek: "KaSnapp!" That sickening feeling when one overstretches a bolt and it breaks off inside the flywheel!! Oops! :: Should have used a lot less torque. Doofus #2. So father in law and I searched hi and lo for a center punch so I could drill, then extract the broken bolt from the flywheel. No find punch, so I drilled it anyways, breaking the bit inside the bolt I was hollowing out!!! :: Doofus # 3.

By then, I'm getting a little testy. Finally, after an hour, got the broken bolt out and re-tapped the hole. Good! So, back on with the flywheel, clutch disk and pressure plate. Used brand new grade 5's in place of the old stretched bolts for the pressure plate. Check the specs again, set the torque wrench to 20lbs. Tighten, tighten, tighten, ksnappp....again!! #%@)*&@@!!!!!! :: Another broken bolt! Another doofus...#4!! So hell with it...I'm going home.

Tommorrow I'll get the hardest bolts I can find and do it all over again. You think grade 8's for the pressure plate will work?!?! ;)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
See there! That's what happens when a farmer can't fix something with baling wire or a hammer, and has to pick up something other than a crescent wrench! :)

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
You broke a bolt with only 20 lbs of torgue! Somethings not right. 20lbs ain't a lot of pulling on the torgue wrench. Are you using the bending rod type wrench or the ratch type? The ratch type might not be working.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
in answer to your question....

yes, you MUST use BRAND NEW grade 8 bolts to put that pressure plate on. since you have a threading tool, you may want to "chase" all the flywheel threads to make sure they are clean and straight. everyone has their pro's and cons, but I personally use Locktite when attaching both the flywheel AND the pressure plate bolts....

I too would check that torque wrench out. a 5 year old could torque 20 lbs on without raising a sweat...

randy

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL! ::

I really like your new sig pic Gene. Looks like you haven't moved from that one spot in 30 yrs!! :eek: ;) hehe...what have you been doing other than sitting in that car???? Seriously, how cool and original. ::

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Torque wrench is working fine...its just we installed some really cheap bolts the last go round. Twist strength on those soft bolts varies widely, a quality issue. I've noticed this lack of uniformity between 'like' bolts before.

I'm actually glad the bolt broke, in retrospect, forcing me to install better bolts. Hate to have the cheapies shear off the pressure plate when engaging the clutch at about 10 grand!!! Plus father-in-law authorized me to get him a drill doctor bit sharpener since half the problem in drilling the bolt out was not having a correct sized sharp bit.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HEY!!!

I WAS using a hammer to beat on the bellhousing and everything else and a crescent wrench to force the ez out! And I was using baling wire to hang painted parts...and hold things in place till I could crescent wrench the bolts in...which needed help with the hammer!!! ;)

Are you suggesting we were not utilizing the very essential tools which keep the US of A breadbasket growing and places an abundance of food on our table?!?! :: hehe!

Lets hear it for baling wire and crescent wrenches!!!! Harrahh, Harrahh!!! :: :: :: oh yeah,,pliers too...

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
you forgot the duct tape! LOL

·
Registered
477 Posts
I hope you have figured out the problem, but I wanted to throw in a possibility. When I did my C4 to 6 speed swap I used a FMS billet steel flywheel. I had a set of ARP 5/16" pressure plate to flywheel bolts that I tried to screw in by hand, no go. So i thought the threads needed to be chased, still no go. Turns out the bolts for the late model pressure plate to flywheel were metric. Don't know if this applies to you situation but thought I would throw it out there

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestion. Its a 68 mustang flywheel. Still SAE...I hope!

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
you'll love the drill dr. I use mine quite a "bit"...pun intended! LOL :: Really a very useful tool, especially for the larger bits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts