Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
19,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I worked on my coupe myself while Chuck and his son worked on putting a new convertible top on his daughter's Mustang. The plan was for me to finish detailing the rear end and do a little more cleaning. Sounds simple, right?

I started with the green paint as I needed to paint the line at the vent hole on the rear axle. Oops, the top stuck a bit on the bottle and when it suddenly came off I looked like a leprechaun. There was green everywhere but on my coupe (fortunately). I cleaned up that mess and put the detail mark on. I was okay for awhile then and got the Markal numbers on the pumpkin. It only took about four tries to get the darn crayons to work properly, but when I was done, it looked good. Alright, on to the red paint for the U-bolt nuts on the rear axle.

I had some Toyota paint (yeah, I know, I know, but it's an exact match) that I wanted to thin down to a wash to put on the nuts. Well, the top was really stuck on the bottle. I put some lacquer thinner on it to help loosen it up but finally had to use the big pliers. I'm struggling with the top when all of a sudden the bottle shattered--in my hand. Now this is blood red paint and it's ALL over my left hand. There were glass shards everywhere, too. At least most of the paint stayed in the bottom half of the bottle. The rest of it was on my hand....and in my lap as I was sitting down. So, I had a dilemma. I knew the only thing that would get that paint off my hand was lacquer thinner. I also knew what would happen if my hand was cut. Fortunately, it wasn't and I did the cleanup of my hand, the floor, Murphy's rear valance, etc. I then mixed up the wash and painted the nuts; they turned out very nice, too.

It was then time to try and remove the tie down brackets as they're rather pitted. I'm going to "borrow" Trouble's brackets for now. I was trying to operate two ratchets to get the nuts off the stupid brackets when first one falls down and bounced off my rib. Gee, that kind of hurt. Then, after trying once again to get the nut loose, the other, bigger ratchet slips off and cracks me in the knuckle on my right hand and scraped the skin. Now, that REALLY hurt. I now have a nice bruise there, can hardly move that finger (the important middle one), and the stupid brackets are still on the car. Chuck said he would get some bigger wrenches and get them off.

Okay, for the final doofus. Chuck and I were under the car checking on a problem area when he needed me to move. I did, and slammed my head into the front right wheel (not the tire). Okay, I saw stars on that one.

So, even though I never really hurt the car (other than temporarily putting red Toyota paint on it), did I earn a doofus or two today? ::

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't think any of that qualifies as a doofus, just normal working on car stuff...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I had an O/T Doofus today, though not my fault....hmmmm.

Broke the roto rooter sewer snake line about 30 feet inside my house drain. There must be about half of the 75' long line stuck in the sewer line just waiting to clog up the entire system. Not a pretty sight!!!

Now my Dad and I are going to have to bring the backhoe in and dig out the line. Oh well, kinda figured on having to replace the old sewer line anyways as tree branches grow through it, thus prompting the bi-monthly roto rooter cleanout....yeachhh!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts