Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 fb; since 1988; restored 1999. and a 65 convertible which i finished this spring. I have enjoyed the convertible a great deal this summer. However, the power from a 200 ci 6 cylinder (completely rebuilt) is less than I remember as a young person driving those falcon 6 cylinder 3 speeds. The problem is; the 67 has been started once and yet remains on blocks from last winter. It is has be printed; 4:11 rear end; 750 dual pumper; hust etc. Will stay with the 396 350 hp chevies for 3 gears before they pull ahead. I do not like to take it out of town because of the rear end ratio. This past winter I was able to get a big block,41/4inch bore with a scj (UI) crank the motor is in wounderful condition; although it does not have cj heads or an appropriate intake manifold. The thought was to put it in the FB this winter. Having read the numerous discussions on Big Block VS 289 souped I am really having significant 2nd thoughts about the swap. In fact because our summers are so short about 6 months of driving I can not get the opportunity to drive more than one Mustang during the summer months.
I am considering liquidating both cars plus the motor and taking the punge to-wards a 60's Shelby. I know I will never get my money back on either the 67 or the 65. However, if I sell the money will go a fair ways to off set the oveer all cost of a shelby. If i decide to move to-wards a shelby... what part of the country has the most reasonable rates. The number of these cars in my part of the country is close to zero. I understand the streets of California are paved with them. Is this true

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I want to see the town with the paved steets of SHELBYS,hehe,,,But really you are thinking right in my opnion and as far as a deal on them there is no such thing ,,they are RARE no matter where you are ,and the internet is the great equallizer for pricing as you can deal from coast to coast in seconds on the net,, I recommend a nice 67 GT 500,, NOT MINE THOUGH

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have had a lot of Mustangs since 1992, and currently have a very nice stable. BUT, I get bored with cars, and usually turn the cars relativly quickly. I wouldn't look at getting a different car as a negative, and don't think you have to keep it too, even if it is a Shelby. I just bought a 66 GT350, and I thought it was the car I would keep forever, but I just am not real excited about it. I am more excited about the 70 boss 302 project waiting, and a 65 GT fastback I just picked up. Am I crazy?? No, matter, I will just move on to another cool classic. Go ahead sell the cars and buy another one or two. Finding them is half the fun!!

Rob

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
One guy I met had the same problem and kept swapping cars and rebuilding them until his stable looked like: 1903 Cadillac, 1917 Marmon 16, 1921 Pierce Arrow, and several other real early automotive masterpieces. He is now building an 1887 Reo from drawings. Its never been built before and so he wants to have the first-last and only copy. The drawings were obtained at great cost instead of the car. When I saw what he was doing my '65 project seemed to pale in comparison. I was just bolting parts together...he was manufacturing them!

G

·
I dont think the streets in Calif are paved w/shelbys,granted wev`e got it made as far as old cars go around here,ive got a 65 shelby and there are
at least 4-5 more in my town, a couple of 500s and 3 -4 350s incl a convertible,all of them are of driver condtion not restored,
if your gonna look you should buy the most compl and correct rust free example you can find,even
if you gotta travel
good luck Dave

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The streets out here aren't paved with the Shelbies, but I did run into a guy in one today (not literally, fortuneately). It was a real nice blue/white '66 Gt350. The guy was at the speed shop I stopped in at. I got to talk to the guy for just a second and invited him out to our show on Saturday. His reply: "yeah, I heard about your show. I'm going to come check it out, but I'm not much for sitting around in a park all day so I don't show my car."

Oh, well, I guess he'd rather drive it than show it *LOL*.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I see alot of nice cars here in So. Cal. of all brands. But wouldn't say they are paved with them. IMO, I love my Boss 302, but just recently sold my 65 vert, which I thought was the car I just had to have. After nearly a year of owning it I got bored with it and sold it. But on the bright side that makes room for another project car, currently building a 69 Mach 1, with a 393 stroker in it. This is my dad's car, but once it is finished and gone, I can look for another project for me. In the mean time, when ever I feel the need for speed. I can easily brake out the B302 and satisfy the need.

·
Registered
10,219 Posts
How do I do it? Hey, you gotta WANT to do it. Remember that.
SAAC had a list of where its members were from a while back. A large amount were in Calif. If I were to buy a car today, no doubt I would try and buy a Calif/Arizona car. The shipping rates alone are much less then the cost to replace a rusted floor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts