Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check into a couple of Mustang sites on a regular basis. I've noticed that a lot of the questions asked here at VMF also come up on the other site. I checked a couple more sites and found the same thing. It appears that some owners that have an issue aren't happy with the info they get from site A so they ask the same question at sites B and C or whereever. I know that opinions are like bu....s, and everyone has one it's almost like "I didn't get the answer I want so I'll try somewhere else". Just curious as to why.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
If the second or third thread comes after answers are posted on the first thread I can buy that. But I'll bet some folks like me post the same question on more than one forum to reach more people and get a quick answer.

·
Just some guy
20,026 Posts
Oddly enough some people don't want "answers", they just want someone to agree with what they have already decided or really want to believe. A couple of subjects prone to that type of posting pop to my mind: cheap car paint, putting some other brand engine in a Ford, what oil to use. Often stuff related to people trying to get out of doing something difficult and/or expensive like most folks consider the good and correct way.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Ha. My simple mind never gave that a thought.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As Bob/rpm said, its probably to submit the question to a wider membership base.

For example, I have a 71 so I first post specific 71 related questions to the 7173Mustang forum since they have the specific car I'm dealing with. However, since some questions apply to mustangs in general i.e. installing a Pertronix etc.., members here or other forums can also have answers / suggestions etc. I have also learned a lot from reading posts related to issues for non 71-73 mustangs that members are dealing with.

More input to some issue I'm dealing with, the better!

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
If the second or third thread comes after answers are posted on the first thread I can buy that. But I'll bet some folks like me post the same question on more than one forum to reach more people and get a quick answer.
As Bob/rpm said, its probably to submit the question to a wider membership base.

More input to some issue I'm dealing with, the better!
I used to post questions both here and on the Concours site but got called out for it on the Concours site. As stated above my intentions were only to get as many people responding to the question so I could make an informed decision. I hardly ever go to that site anymore, simply because I'm almost finished with the GT that I'm trying to make as original as possible and that site is just not conducive to answers I need on the Go Fast I'm building now.

Allen

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I rarely post to multiple sites but do so on occasion if I need a quick response or wide audience. Generally, if I need a very quick response, I will post to one of many Facebook sites I visit. Answers usually come in quick, the problem is that you have to sort through them: lot of ignorant ME TOO type responses. The same people that were posting ignorant questions one minute, are posing as experts the next moment.
I generally trust info I get here MUCH more and usually just post questions here.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It's nice to avoid an echo chamber. Fortunately, here on VMF we seem to have enough knowedgeable members, varying opinions and reasonable discussion to avoid that.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
This is what I do. And why does anybody care? I'm only allowed to post a question on one forum? Geez....

·
Just some guy
20,026 Posts
The multiple forum thing just kind of looks funny going in. If you are a member of several forums it kind of jumps out at you when someone rubber stamps a question across several of them. Sure, there's absolutely no harm but it's hard not to notice and human nature makes it hard for some people not to comment I guess.
I've noticed a few newbie types posting the same things all over the place. Often after a while they settle down to posting in just one forum. Makes sense to me. Once you figure out where the fish are, that's where you fish.
Multiple forum posting in itself doesn't worry me. It's just the people looking only for the exact answer they want to hear that bug me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can also look at it this way. As the primary developer of Linux puts it, "many eyes make bugs shallow" or easier to find. There may be someone on one forum that has encountered the issue the poster is having, that members of another forum may not have, so posting on multiple forums "could" result in a faster answer. Granted, pretty much every one here belongs to multiple forums ...

·
Registered
162 Posts
As knowledgeable as this group tends to be, it is not fool proof. At the same time, shopping for a particular opinion to externally validate a decision that has already been made can be annoying. I can recall several threads over the years where the OP asks a question and gets an answer they didn't want to hear. They either get huffy or go ahead do what they want and FUBAR up their car. For those folks, it isn't about getting useful information out into the community, it is about stroking ones own ego. Asking the same question a second time usually does not result in a better solution but some folks are just too stubborn to let go. Over time I recognize the pattern and ignore that members posts.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My first choice is VMF :) I only read posts from other forums if I use google to search for an answer. Following only one forum has the advantage to learn which guys really have a ton of experience and which are only showing off. They are not necessarily wrong, but there is no statistic behind. I guess everybody develops a feeling which person to trust.
If someone found something really cool and is sharing it in multiple forums, why not. I also don't care about the same question in different forums. Maybe it is a way to go if you need an answer fast. Here is a ton of knowledge, but maybe your post is not visible long enough that the experts see it. Who is checking 1 week old posts?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts