Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow, in taking out my distributor out and putting it back in(I should say attempting to put it back in) I have unseated the oil pump shaft from the oil pump. I have a long magnet and I have tried to seat it back in the oil pump, but it just wont go so it sits just to the side of the spot it belongs, and I cant get the distributor back in because of it.

Any one have any ideas short of taking the oil pan off?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Thats harsh....been there done that.

It is hex sized........a socket on a long 1/4" extension (and a LOT of care) may help

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Thats harsh....been there done that.

It is hex sized........a socket on a long 1/4" extension (and a LOT of care) may help
It is a 1/4" socket. It IS a tight fit with a socket. Be very careful or you will find the socket in your oil pan. They do make a Tool designed to "prime" the engine. this tool will work for what you are doing. I ended up buying a cheap 6" extention and socket. I welded the socket onto the ext as insurance that the socket would come out with the extention. Then, I ground the side of the socket down on the bench grinder to allow for more clearance.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I doubt that the shaft has come unseated from the pump. 9 times out of 10, if they do, they drop into the pan.

You just have to line the distributor up with the shaft, but this is extremely easy to do. The tip of the shaft is slightly pointed, and the end of the distributor slightly angled, so it sitting over to the side is not a problem, and is perfectly normal.

To drop the distributor back in, take the dist. cap off. Then put the distributor in, where ever you need to as far as it will go in. Push downward on the distributor (it's less obtrusive on the hand if the rotor is installed), then turn the engine over while pushing down. As soon as the shaft and distributor line up, the distributor will drop in the rest of the way.

It should take all of about 15 seconds to drop a distributor back in, doing it this way.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Reminds me of my High School days. A friend of mine called me up to give him a ride to the parts shop for new intake gaskets after he dropped the wing nut off his aircleaner down the carb straight into the intake manifold where it bounced off one of the wings on the nut and out of site. He had to pull the intake off to get the wingnut out.

His younger brother was rather bruised afterwards since he threw the snowball that hit my friend in the back of the head causing him to fumble the wingnut.

so much fun when a 2 cent part causes you to spend 5 times longer on an easy fix.

·
Registered
904 Posts
ahem, it happened to me. Use a straw from Mcdonalds. They are big enough to fit over the shaft. McDonalds straws are bigger than average, so try any straw...

trust me this works.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
so much fun when a 2 cent part causes you to spend 5 times longer on an easy fix.
Almost as much fun as the car you buy ($200) with the "broken cam"
turns out to be a nut holding a valve open!!
Bruce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts