Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My observation of muscle cars while in Holland for a week, though I worked long hours every day .....
70 camaro
77 camaro
70 Javlin (sweet)
71 Mustang Conv. with sidepipes,Silver and gold rims Mach1stripe and hood

and for the other everyday cars, all econoboxes but not a ricer among them. Every once in a while I can see a SUV, large Mercedes and Volvo. Oh, I can't forget the millions of bikes pedaling around. My rental is a "luxury sudan". A new Volvo wagon with a 5 speed. It is huge compared to the typical car here and is difficult to park and manuver. I know there are several Holland members of VMF, wish I had time to visit them.
John

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yes I am amazed at the number of muscle cars over here (Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, France, etc.) I live in Belgium and next week is the Mustang Nationals in Antwerp.
There will probably be over 200 mustangs there. That is a small show compared to the American Iron Show which will take place in August. Well over 2000 cars are expected. Should be lots of fun! RB

·
Registered
699 Posts
Now, I cant really recall the numbers that well, but I think Ive read about 2000 Mustangs in Germany. First generation that is.
But I guess the people in Switzerland (keep in mind it is a very small country, in size and populationwise), have about 2000-3000 classic Stangs as well. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Again, I might be slightly off with my numbers. So if anyone could correct me please... .

PS : check out the german Mustang club homepage :

http://privat.schlund.de/f/fmcog/

As far as Ive heard it is the largest First Generation Mustang club outside the US. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
422 Posts
My moms side of the family lives in Rotterdam, Holland, I have never been there but would love to go and see that country. I heard from another resident, a VMF'er, that the gas over there is like over $4.00 a gallon, which may explain why there are millons of bikes, and very little muscle cars. I guess he had switched to Natural Gas for his mustang, and runs great with it, something we all may had to consider doing one day. Batteries would not look cool under the hood. Unless they had like chrome top battery covers. ;0)

·
Registered
699 Posts
The gas prices are in the $4/gallon range in most european countries I guess.
Its not only the Netherlands. Austria, Germany, England, you name it... .

And as youve noted, that is probably the major reason, that you wont find much V8s and engines with big displacements over here. I think the majority of cars in Europe have engines that have less than 2.0 litre displacement! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Good for the environment, but takes a bit of fun as well. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well, thanks for the link to our page, however the german club is not the biggest classic Mustang club (any more).
If I remember right, the numbers of club cars is somewhat like that:
Netherlands - >1100 (incl. late models)
Norway >1000 (incl. late models)
Sweden >600 (incl...)
Denmark maybe 200 (?)
Finnland >500 (incl..)
Germany 340 (only 64-73) probably 700 on the roads
Switzerland (100) - but around 2000 64-73 and another 2000 74-today on the roads
Belgium - maybe 80 (Mustang/Cougar club)?
France - around 400 (incl. late models)
Italy - no club - only individuals
Austria - maybe 30 (no club)

Antwerp/Belgium will be the place to be on 21. July
See my page http://people.freenet.de/pony/email.htm for further event information on european Mustang events.
Will be there as will be members of the Mustang owners clus, Wild Ponies, Mustang Club de France, Belgium Cougar/Mustang club etc.
See you there

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
In France you pay a tax based on horsepower. The Citroen 2CV is the cheapest (French VW). 2HP, but I think its DIN hp.

·
Registered
340 Posts
2 HP, even DIN-HP would be a little bit too low. The former 2CV had later sth. around 18-21 DIN HP. The 2CV relates to deux cheveaux (2 horses) and the 2 cylinder engine. Some called it Döschwo (shortened french pronounciation). Remember that it was even used in a Bond movie, so it can't be so bad. It is part of french lifestyle, although fewer and fewer are on the roads today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts