Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
I put dot 5 in my 67 disk/drum GTA in 1982 and there were zero issues (I took the system apart for a full vehicle restoration in 2010.) At the time (1982) I put on a rebuilt MC, new rear brake cylinders, and rebuilt the K/H front calipers. Did not touch the lines, distribution block, or proportioning valve other than drain and flush them in place. Never noticed a problem with brake performance. The brakes were actually much improved but since the components were rebuilt/replaced at the same time I can't say if the dot 5 on its own was better or worse for performance. Over that nearly 30 years there were some years that I did not drive it at all, but I would start it up and back up and down the driveway. I think I went about 10 years between bleeding. For all of these reasons, with no negative experience, dot 5 went back in as part of the restoration.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've also had good experiences with the DOT5. I converted over to DOT5 back in the '90s because I knew I was too lazy to flush the brake system every few years. Last year was the first year since 1995 where I bled the brakes because I converted my front brakes over to disks from drum and the master cylinder from a single to a dual-reservoir.

Saying that, DOT5 is not cheap, so you might want to consider that as you decide on the brake fluid to use in your car.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I put dot 5 in my 67 disk/drum GTA in 1982 and there were zero issues (I took the system apart for a full vehicle restoration in 2010.) At the time (1982) I put on a rebuilt MC, new rear brake cylinders, and rebuilt the K/H front calipers. Did not touch the lines, distribution block, or proportioning valve other than drain and flush them in place. Never noticed a problem with brake performance. The brakes were actually much improved but since the components were rebuilt/replaced at the same time I can't say if the dot 5 on its own was better or worse for performance. Over that nearly 30 years there were some years that I did not drive it at all, but I would start it up and back up and down the driveway. I think I went about 10 years between bleeding. For all of these reasons, with no negative experience, dot 5 went back in as part of the restoration.

Thank You John for your detailed experienced e-mail , And thank you John jvercellino also. I guess from the experience you two have given I will stay with the Dot 5 . But I cant understand why just 3-5 years of storage and 20 miles of driving the Cylinders front only would blow like t hey have. Its such a chore right now to get those cylinders out that I might as well convert to Disc which I have been wanting to do in the future> !

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It's much easier to repair leaking wheel cylinders than convert to disk brakes. If they are not rusted inside, wheel cylinders can be rebuilt in less than 5 minutes without removing them.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts