Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I got my car out of the barn last night for a little back and forth on the driveway. I've got to take it over to the exhaust shop tonight so they can reinstall my exhaust Wednesday morning, so I was just making sure I could drive it there after 7 months of work.

Two problems I thought I might be able to get some advice on:

1. Mushy Brakes. Since my last drive I replaced the rear brake shoes, and the hard line from my proprotional valve to the rear axle block. I bled the brakes a bunch...but they are still mushy. I assume that the problem is the brake adjusters haven't worked into their set postion yet. Is there something I can do to make that happen? Should I try to adjust them up by hand?

2. Futzy Transmission. A lot of the fluid from my C4 ended up on the barn floor during the last 7 months. With the driveshaft out and me jacking up the car at different angles, a lot of it simply ran out the back of the tranny. When I checked the fluid level before I ever put it in gear, it actually showed "full" on the stick. I went ahead and added a pint of fluid above full and started the engine. Putting the car into drive and reverse yielded no movement, so after about 15 seconds in each gear I shut her off and rechecked the fluid level. It was completely off the stick. I added 1 full quart and that brought it back up to the full mark. I restarted the engine and found the car would go backward and forward, with some slugishness. It's hard to tell really, because with open headers the car is so fricken loud I may just not be giving it enough gas to "get with the program". After moving it back and forth in the driveway for a few minutes I rechecked the fluid level and it hadn't changed a bit. It was still right at full. Is there anything I should be checking here?

Any ideas would be much appreciated. For those that have been following my work...I did get the 3 point belts figured out. I've got pictures. I'll do a post soon. After the exhaust is installed, I'll remove the driver's seat (the only seat I have in) and put the carpet in. I'm getting close!

Phil

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
1 Brakes: Adjust them by hand, stepping on brakes in reverse is only good if the adjustors are working really good.
You can either use the elongated hole at the bottom of the backing plate to stick a screw driver in and turn adjuster or remove the wheel and do it by hand or pliers, adjust untill you get a slight drag (spinning drum a few revolutions). If you do it with the wheel off method make sure the shoes are all the way in before sticking the drum on to test.

2 Trans: You might have to drive it a bit for the level to balance out, the filter might also be clogged. After sitting a while I have seem many a trans's slip for a while. A clogged filter widd do the same thing in my experances.
Good luck Phil!

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Phil,
If you opened up the brake system it sounds like there is air in the system, try bleeding the brakes. As for you other problem, with the engine running put the trans in each gear for a few seconds & then recheck the fluid. Sometimes you have to get the fluid in all ports in the valve body.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts