Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the mustang 11 front suspension for my 65 vert.
I have a 289.
The problem is the HEIDTS people say you can not have a front sump. What is the solution?
Thanx BC

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Yeah, you can just pick up a used OEM pump pick up and pan from a 79-95 Mustang since they used rear sump setups. In fact, I just sold one for $30 on another forum. They can be found cheap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just making sure you know if you switch from a front sump to rear sump oil pan you change the pickup tube as well. I sent you a PM, I have a brand new rear sump and pickup off my crate motor.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Uhhhh....one more small issue too. What about the front mounted dip stick tube and dipstick? With the front sump gone, the stick won't go in all the way will it? And even if it did, the front sump on a rear sump pan is just big enough to cover the oil pump. Considering I'm running a late model block I have the option of using the stock post '86 dip stick location, but what about those with pre '86 blocks?
I think you have to run a special pan with custom dipstick location built into the side of the pan?
FWIW, Summit Racing carries a new Ford pan, pick up and side of engine block dipstick assy for $100. I'm about to go that route unless I can find a good used one.
EDIT: Did a little Googling and found out that a Canton aftermarket pan for a Fox Mustang comes with a bung to mount a dipstick into. But you have to run the Canton Dip stick assy.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Whats a Mustang 11? Is that what Spinal Tap drives? :)
It's just 9 too high. LOL!! OP should have used the Caps on and the i key!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Uhhhh....one more small issue too. What about the front mounted dip stick tube and dipstick? With the front sump gone, the stick won't go in all the way will it? And even if it did, the front sump on a rear sump pan is just big enough to cover the oil pump. Considering I'm running a late model block I have the option of using the stock post '86 dip stick location, but what about those with pre '86 blocks?
I think you have to run a special pan with custom dipstick location built into the side of the pan?
FWIW, Summit Racing carries a new Ford pan, pick up and side of engine block dipstick assy for $100. I'm about to go that route unless I can find a good used one.
EDIT: Did a little Googling and found out that a Canton aftermarket pan for a Fox Mustang comes with a bung to mount a dipstick into. But you have to run the Canton Dip stick assy.
If you're going Heidts make sure you ask them which pans fit with their kit. Rod & Custom has a list that fits with their suspension. "rear sump" alone may not be enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts